• Advertisement

Tecumseh won't run past half throttle

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Tecumseh won't run past half throttle

Postby bgsengine » Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:41 pm

Roadrunner123 wrote:Ok so I removed the intake valve and included a link to show the carbon on the underside.
I see no rubber wiper that you're talking about.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/FaiWfnB74nTufCyk8
There was on evidence of anything rubber being in there.

valve face does show some sings of carbon impacted to it , lapping it away would be a good idea.

- Those engines did not use valve stem seals (rare in an L-Head horizontal shaft since oil is on the downhill side already)

- Your intake valve does show signs of wear (abrasive passing through intake) which might explain a bit of oil on top of piston (most engines will always have a bit of oil there) and also your "oil" could just be gas-soaked carbon deposits. while head is off, check the bore for any serious scratching in line with the piston (ANYTHING YOU CAN CATCH A FINGERNAIL IN IS GONNA BE A PROBLEM DOWN THE ROAD) . Meantime you also need to check your exhaust valve face for burning and pitting. But overall your main focus is gonna be setting the clearance (if you do it the fast way and only check clearance by applying finger pressure on valve instead of putting the spring and keeper back on, then go for a gap more to the "bigger" side of the spec (if spec is .005- .007 for example, shoot to get a gap around .007 - .008) , and your valve faces (honestly that intake valve, I'd probably reface it and recut the seats, set clearance and lap it in, but unless you have a $800.00 - plus tool budget for the valve refacer and seat cutter sets, you can often get by with just lapping them in, instead, unless burned or pitted or dished badly, in which case replacement is in order)

There's 3 types of keepers common to the L-Head - The Keyhole style is most common (think of an old skeleton key keyhole shape, that's kinda what they look like) , then there's the collar and pin (bit more difficult to remove without a compressor) and then the split collar retainers (3 piece) which is what you evidently saw in that video, and is the one most difficult to R&R without a compressor (and grease often used to help stick the halves in place so collar can be released over them) That style is most commonly found on exhaust valves that also have a valve rotator keeper collar... Some engines had steel upper spring guides that look like keepers (but are not) and some did not. If so equipped, they are there to help keep the spring square to the valve stem (if the spring does not sit square it can increase side loading on valve stem, leading to slightly more wear on stem and guides)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Roadrunner123 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:09 pm

There is some play. When I looked up the valve for this engine on parts tree it show the top retainer with a rubber insert. 2931 b superseded to 2931c .
No burn marks but there was a lot of carbon under it. I have a lap tool now and grinding compound.
Roadrunner123

Postby Roadrunner123 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:22 pm

Update: Finally some positive news! After lapping the valves I was finally able to go from idle to high speed without any problems. I understand that this does not mean it's totally repaired without being able to test it under load but I did move the governor linkage to open the throttle and it revved up.
Chances of getting any snow in the northeast now is very slim so I guess I will won't know if it's fixed until this winter.
So until then I will winterize it and update the forum next time it snows.
I want to thank everyone that contributed to this post. It was a pleasure conversing with everyone and I must say I learned a ton. There wasn't a part on this engine I didn't test and I also enjoyed every minute of it. The fact that it only weighed about 20 lbs also made the whole experience much more fun as I was to be to throw it up on the bench and then carry it out and test it on the lawn without having to install back on the machine. At 74 I appreciate working on something that weighs so little.
I hope with all the years of working on small engines and what I learned this time I can possibly help someone else on this forum going forward.
Again thanks to everyone and to my friend,who goes by the call sign Lefty, who turned me on to this forum and also assisted me in many ways.
Take care!
Roadrunner123

Postby Roadrunner123 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:26 pm

Update. So after doing the valves and the engine was running good I decided to do a compression test and to my disappointment the compression went down to 50 psi. It originally was 75 psi. So I lapped them again and reinstalled and happy to report the psi is now 85. My question is, is 85 psi good for that engine?
There is nothing in the manual about a range.
Thanks
Roadrunner123

Postby bgsengine » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:07 pm

Roadrunner123 wrote:Update. So after doing the valves and the engine was running good I decided to do a compression test and to my disappointment the compression went down to 50 psi. It originally was 75 psi. So I lapped them again and reinstalled and happy to report the psi is now 85. My question is, is 85 psi good for that engine?
There is nothing in the manual about a range.
Thanks

considering its age, 85 PSI is pretty solid, maybe a little better than average.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Roadrunner123 » Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:17 pm

So we know the intake valve was causing the issue since it went away after the lapping so my question is why would a leaking intake valve allow the engine to operate up to half throttle and occasionally full throttle but always die when I quickly went from low to high throttle?
Roadrunner123

Postby Arkie » Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:54 pm

Roadrunner123 wrote:So we know the intake valve was causing the issue since it went away after the lapping so my question is why would a leaking intake valve allow the engine to operate up to half throttle and occasionally full throttle but always die when I quickly went from low to high throttle?

Give it a really good workout, test run over few days.
Start it up and just let it set at about 1/2 throttle running.
Let it idle every once in awhile, then full throttle for awhile.
Let us know if you see any blue smoke, puff of blue smoke etc.
Make sure that the oil level is not over full when you start testing.

Get back to us in couple 3 days with the performance test results?????
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby Roadrunner123 » Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:07 pm

Arkie wrote Give it a really good workout, test run over few days.
Start it up and just let it set at about 1/2 throttle running.
Let it idle every once in awhile, then full throttle for awhile.
Let us know if you see any blue smoke, puff of blue smoke etc.
Make sure that the oil level is not over full when you start testing.
]

I do see blue smoke going from idle to full power. Every time I removed the head there was oil on the piston. Also it started doing the same problem and coughing gas at times through the carb. If I go up from idle to full slowly I can get it to run full power but I feel like I'm back to square one. I'm completely out of ideas. If you have any other thoughts I would gladly try them. Crazy how it ran so good for a couple of days.
Roadrunner123

Postby Roadrunner123 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:30 am

creia wrote:Did you put the gasket and the diaphragm back in the correct order when you reassembled the carb? On some carbs the gasket goes first while on others the diaphragm goes first. Reference the Tecumseh manual to see which way yours goes.
Michael

Yes I read the note on that.
Thanks
Roadrunner123

Postby Roadrunner123 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:34 am

Arkie wrote:
Arkie wrote:One example on flea bay at this link.

If you get a float carb on that rig and still no go, let us know and I'll give you a couple of H35 hints that is easily missed in the service manual that will cause such. (before you give up and throw it in the trash with stomach ulcers bleeding and install a HF Predator @ $100) ;)

What are the H35 hints that are easily missed that you mentions in this post:
Roadrunner123

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Discussion Forum