• Advertisement

After-market ignition modules

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

After-market ignition modules

Postby dennis » Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:58 am

Ignition module is shot on an old Stihl 036, salvaged from dump. Went online, and there are so many after-market modules (very cheap compared to OEM). Has anyone had any experience with these after-market modules, and if any are more reliable than others?
dennis
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: After-market ignition modules

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:56 am

Can't answer that question as I never had a Stihl chainsaw in the shop with a bad ignition coil.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:07 am

aftermarket modules, always have been and always will be a crapshoot. They'd have been reverse engineered, most likely, and typically aftermarket manufacturers will use the cheapest materials they can possibly get away with and still have the product work "fairly consistently" but there's very little, if any quality control, If you have any kind of luck, you can buy one module and have it work and outlast the whole saw... but on average, they'll work for a couple years or so *maybe* .. and if you have MY kind of luck (if it wasn't for bad luck, Id have no luck at all) you'll have to buy 2 or 3 modules to finally get one that gives equivalent performance. Same thing can be said about aftermarket clone carburetors and many other aftermarket parts. However, if you happen to source the parts from a reliable USA company (such as Stens) that will actually stand behind and warranty what they sell, you'd probably be just fine.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby dennis » Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:53 pm

Thanks for the replies. I know what you mean, it is really a crapshoot. This saw is old, and has not been treated well. Will use as a back-up. Took a chance and bought an ignition module from Farmertech, the same outfit that sells those kit saws. Figured I MIGHT have better success with an outfit that uses them in their cheap kit saws, rather than getting a $10 module with spark plug included!! A gamble, but the module was $19, and although I am not a fan of purchasing warranties, I did buy a 3 year one for $2, that will cover replacement and labor, or refund money. Oh for the good ol' days when things were labeled "American made".
dennis
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum