• Advertisement

Fuel Treatments and Goo!

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Fuel Treatments and Goo!

Postby rrrhre2s » Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:59 pm

Taryl Fixes All posted a video recently about fuel treatments info below:

Time 32:17
5 Month Fuel Test - Some Work, Some Don't!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY3CXmk19Ag

I have a theory that since the fuel bowl is vented to the atmosphere and air contains water and ethanol attracts water...
slime occurs in the bottom as more water is absorbed.

The only way to really stop it is to remove all fuel from the system.

Since ethanol free fuels are not available everywhere at a reasonable price ~ $23.00 a gallon at the big box store.

What is the opinion here ?
If this should be posted elsewhere move it !

rrrh1re2s
rrrhre2s

Advertisement

Re: Fuel Treatments and Goo!

Postby bgsengine » Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:21 pm

1) I learned long ago, can't believe everything you see on Youtube/Facebook/The Internet
2) Didn't bother watching the video, I'm slightly familiar with that guy, and a lot of his stuff, while it may work, isn't quite correct (if you want to be technically correct)
3) What I can tell you is that yes, not all fuel stabilizers are the same - There are stabilizers that are formulated to *gasp* KEEP FUEL STABLE (but not to prevent water/moisture) , there are stabilizers that are actually intended to bond with the ethanol (to prevent ethanol from bonding with water) and then there's the "old timer" formulas, out of date that just don't work in modern fuels any more.. Sta-Bil for example has several different formulations of fuel stabilizer for different purposes - You might use one stabilizer for long-term storage (but they may not prevent moisture build-up - they're intended for TANK storage - tanks not typically exposed to a lot of open air) you might use another for regular short-term dosing (Such as Ethanol Shield , which also has lubricants in it to lubricate and condition fuel lines and rubber parts to reduce extend their life in the presence of ethanol, along with chemical agents that bond with the ethanol to prevent it from absorbing water)

4) Long Story short - people need to actually READ the directions and description on the fuel stabilizer they are thinking about buying, to make sure they are getting the right stuff for their particular purpose - There's no real "be-all, end-all" stabilizer for all possible applications.

5) and Last but not least, You may take most any advice with a grain of salt (even mine) - but especially youtubers with gimmicks (like that guy) - lot of their crap is just for the sake of clicks and entertainment - like I said, some of his stuff may technically "work" or "get the job done" but that does not mean it is the right way, or the correct information, and I have noticed a LOT of youtubers will copy each other's ideas (Not just in small engines, but in most other categories as well) for the sake of SEO (and clicks, and thus, income)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:16 am

I tried watching a couple of his videos. All the clowning around just didn't even get with me as I was looking a serious source of info. As BGS said most videos and other hacks are just that. More of what I call gimmicks then serious repairs. But this is my personal opinion.

What works best for is just to run the equipment to renew the fuel in the carbs every month. I quit trying to use Stabil due the red goo that clogged a carburetor on a tiller here that sat several months awaiting sale. Cost me that sale.

I think we got more worries on the horizon with the Feds thinking allowing E15 as most of our repairs are with parts only rated for E10. Otherwords our vendor are not warranting for above E10 use.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:14 am

after the clowning I find the guy knows his stuff.
luckily I can get shell vpower here in canada. I buy at a cardlock with monthly bill so can't get the visa payment bonus I'd get at regular station but it appears my per litre for the premium is close to regular station ethanol blend. with ethanol free I'm not seeing the jelly filled carbs. I add a bit of homemade sea foam to the equipment as a cleaner as opposed to stabilizer.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:34 pm

My experience using fuel stabilizer:
I have been using "Stabil" brand fuel stabilizer in all of our small engines (mostly motorcycles and scooters, with some lawn care equipment) for over 15 years now with excellent results. Some of these bikes have had the same fuel in them for over 2 years and I never drained the fuel bowls after shutting them off after they last ran. They all start right up and run fine after the fuel bowls fill up (the fuel evaporates out after some time). There is NO "goo" whatsoever in the carbs or fuel tank. Oh yeah, one last thing- I live in California and our fuel has had ethanol in it for a LONG time. I have never felt the need to purchase ethanol-free fuel.
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:54 pm

Do not try to look Taryl in the eye. ;) :oops:
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:42 pm

I was googling and read that shell vpower may no longer be ethanol free. I will retest when I get back home this weekend.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:21 am

If I remember correctly I saw signs at Shell indicating some their contained 15% ether instead of 10% Ethanol.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:19 am

Dunno if nationwide, but in PA some gas stations carry the 88 Octane (blue handled pump and label) which is E-15 , and typically as much as 30 to 40 cents a gallon cheaper than 87 unleaded
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:50 am

The local gas is always higher because it is 20+ miles to the local large towns. Now of course the local stations are usually ran by Indians and Iranians so I avoid them as they always act like I am in their stores to steal. I usually can save up to 0.15 per gallon by just driving to town. An example is the local station is currently at $3.80 when in town yesterday it was $3.65. I had to go to town as some stupid idiot (me) forgot the renewal his tags for three years. A customer pointed out that my tag had a 19 sticker on it the day before. Now I end paying this year's tag four times. Oh well at least I didn't get fined. I just blaming it on the Covid mess.

Definitely don't want to try buying straight gasoline. It is usually as much $0.40 per gallon more. Since I only fill once a month lately I usually just use my discount at Kroger which is about same everyone in the town but like this next month I am setup for 0.40 off per gallon. Usually more like 0.20 cents but they ran a promotion this month that I was able to take advantage of. About 24 gallons at a time useless I am buying for my mowers then I carry a couple 5 gallon cans along. And I really need to cut my grass if I can find the time and it is dry enough so I don't get stuck. I got about a third of it done using customers mower that I was testing. I am glad the rain as let up some now but by Summer I will wishing for weekly rain.

But Ethanol production does affect me otherwise as whole kernel feed corn is up a lot in the last year. I was paying around $5 per 50 lbs and now the best deal I can find is $8.59 at Rural King; only because they competing with TSC. In the past the County Coop was always the cheapest place to get but it is now over $12 per 50 lbs. I going through about 200 lbs monthly. If Ethanol production goes up then so does my cost for this feed. At least it is growing season here so I can cut down on feed now.

TSC in another town was $16 per 50 lbs for the same corn. It is the same way with the Coops. The TN coops are much higher plus they charge sales tax on farm animal feed where AL don't. So you can pretty figure where I go for my animal feed.

Something else that get smacked by the higher Ethanol production and that one affect you whiskey drinkers. But don't Jack has more than enough stored in Lynchburg and they are expanding warehouses into the next county. But just read lately that they now producing a jet green fuel out the waste products. A version of bio kerosene much like they produce bio diesel by extracting the oils. The bio diesel around here has all but vanished. My small tractor actually ran better on the bio diesel. Getting the commercial airlines to use it is going to be tough. The green jet fuel is a cleaner burning product and airline are one of the biggest polluters out there.

Oh well I thought I was catching up on work. I was down to 16 units Monday but I am already back up to 24 units yesterday. But at least I got 6 out yesterday but the increase. Darn I getting popular this time of year. :lol: I am running an average of two weeks behind. Most is going back to 4/12 but I got 5 unit that been here long due to parts on back order.

Now I got to go get some tools today. I am a puller for a Kawasaki flywheel (large two jaw puller) and some extractors. I don't have a #1. Of course I got a Stihl carb to pickup and spark plug for a four wheeler so I can get three thing done on one trip. I was hoping to get the CC out today but the Mexican has destroyed two spindles that I was going to rebuild. So much so that the grease seals don't even have a place to go. Oh well next week maybe on that one. At least when I get it will be a reliable mower again.

I got another Mexican that thought $400 was way too much to fix his mower so it being returned with the starter solenoid replaced. He can replace the other parts himself or get one of his buddies to do it for free, I am not. He tried several times to get to do the work for $100. Well it needs all idlers replaced, new drive belts, three spindles rebuilt, front bushings, and one flat repaired. I was cutting him some slack as he was a new customer with a mower in bad condition. I tried twice returning the mower and he missed both agreed to appointments. Now he has to come and get the mower himself.

Have fun guys...
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum