• Advertisement

John Deere LX 176

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

John Deere LX 176

Postby Gerry » Tue May 10, 2022 11:27 am

John Deere LX176 MOL176X072078. Powered by a FC420V-AS10. 38 inch cut with electric PTO. I had to get parts for the carb from JD only place available. The electrical system has been modified several times, just FYI. I have it starting and running good my problem..... When I engage the PTO at 3200RPMs it will run all day. If I idle down from 3200 to about 2500 RPMs it will sometimes backfire but will always cough and die. If I engage blades at idle it dies.

Is it designed to be wide open when the blades are engaged?

Is it possible that at less than high RPM the charging system is not putting out enough juice to run the system. Battery is a little sketchey.

TIA
Gerry
Guide

Advertisement

Re: John Deere LX 176

Postby RoyM » Tue May 10, 2022 1:35 pm

It has a magneto ignition system which does not depend on battery power. The engine is likely starving for fuel under load at the lower rpm, the carburetor may need a thorough cleaning. Are you using low ethanol fuel? How old is the machine and has it been well maintained?
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby Gerry » Tue May 10, 2022 2:36 pm

RoyM wrote:It has a magneto ignition system which does not depend on battery power. The engine is likely starving for fuel under load at the lower rpm, the carburetor may need a thorough cleaning. Are you using low ethanol fuel? How old is the machine and has it been well maintained?

Owner dont know the age, and it was out in the elements for over a year with a little to no cover. The carb has been in the UC twice and I have cleaned with small wire all places I could get. Yes using low ethanol. Thanks for the help......time for the carb to go swimming again.
Gerry
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Wed May 11, 2022 5:28 am

1993 Model (SN M0L172X070001-090000)

You could have gotten parts from Kawasaki distributor for that engine; although, John Deere has the US side of Kawasaki blocking the lookup of the engine. I go thru the European side to look up these engines so I can get the Kawasaki part numbers.

https://www.kawasaki-engines.eu/en/supp ... catalogue/
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Gerry » Thu May 12, 2022 5:18 pm

KE4AVB thanks for the link, JD dealer is 35 miles from me, used him for a JD only Oring special order cost $29.86 to get it but what the hey. Anyway after a 3rd long hot wash in the UC she carries the load for a idle to full wide open.

Thanks again for all the help it is so appreciated.
Gerry
Guide

Return to Technical Discussion Forum