• Advertisement

Flywheel and Magnets

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Flywheel and Magnets

Postby bob » Sun May 15, 2022 10:06 am

I have a John Deere GT275 with about 16volts ac coming from stator. Took flywheel off and found 2 loose magnets. Now from what I understand you have to have the magnets alternated from north then south etc. This one has 5 magnets total so how can I alternated them and still have north, south, north.south and then north which would be back to back with north or does it not matter. Hope this makes sense. I am checking polarity with another magnet to find attraction and repelling, Using method from a Taryll Fixes all video
bob
Forum Regular

Advertisement

Re: Flywheel and Magnets

Postby KE4AVB » Sun May 15, 2022 3:06 pm

Don't over think it.

Here is a rough 5 magnet circle.

Just remember they must evenly spaced.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bob » Tue May 17, 2022 8:32 pm

OK I got back to flywheel repair. I have I think about 2 or 3 magnets that are broke and and loose and broken pieces. I glued the magnets back together and glued back on flywheel but still only have 9 vac. Actually I think I went down in voltage before I started. The alternator coil measures about 2.4 ohms and is not open so I am assumming it is good. Is my problem the magnets themselves and if so is it possible to even repair this
bob
Forum Regular

Postby bgsengine » Tue May 17, 2022 8:40 pm

busted magnets, only possible repair is new flywheel - once broken, magnets no longer have the strength and continuity of field that they'd have had whole. (glued up broken magnet roughly equal to just 2 magnets glued together - 2 individual magnetic fields that will not be in phase with the rest of the system even though they may technically create one field, it's still 2 at the microscopic level - can't put back together a magnet at the magnetic field level, really)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby bob » Tue May 17, 2022 9:00 pm

Could I find replacement magnets some where
bob
Forum Regular

Postby bgsengine » Tue May 17, 2022 9:45 pm

bob wrote:Could I find replacement magnets some where

Nope, they are not replaceable. only way you could get replacements is off a good used flywheel, but then if you had a good used flywheel, I'd say just replace the flywheel. If it's a Kohler, last I knew of they were relatively cheap . last one I replaced was like $75-ish or so new , but that was something like 4 or 5 years ago.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Wed May 18, 2022 6:33 am

If JD Parts is not lying to me again the engine should a Kawasaki FC540V. Now depending the spec the flywheel may be NLA which in that case an used one must be found. Or at least a couple of the specs I look up showed the flywheel as NLA.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bob » Wed May 18, 2022 9:21 am

Yes you are right it is Kawaski FC540 engine and I could not fine anything on john deere site and even if I did up here in Canada I am sure it would be very expensive. Maybe keep my open for something on Ebay. Thanks for help
bob
Forum Regular

Postby KE4AVB » Wed May 18, 2022 12:06 pm

What the spec number so can look-up the engine to see what Kawasaki says is available or not. At least I could give you the Kawasaki part number for looking around.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Wed May 18, 2022 2:32 pm

You might search flea bay and on-line
try this search
kawasaki fc540 engine flywheel

Shipping might be a problem, but vs cost of another machine.

Seen some flywheels with free sipping and some with $9 shipping. (don't sound right so beware)
Buy with caution from flea bay.

If you do not see anything, try a saved search, so as to get a email later if one surfaces.

Keep in mind when a magnet breaks it has two OPPOSITE POLARITY poles again, so gluing them back together for a flywheel stator would have a cancelling effect for magnetic field to the stator winding. similar to peeing into the wind. ;)
Arkie
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum