• Advertisement

Briggs Intek Twin, left cylinder dead?

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Briggs Intek Twin, left cylinder dead?

Postby 38racing » Thu May 26, 2022 8:36 pm

Arkie wrote:
38racing wrote:there's a Briggs engine that actually has the aluminum push rod on the exhaust. mechanic girl I know once told me her boss told her she had it wrong and she showed him the manual for the engine which showed the aluminum on exhaust. It's because the acr is on the exhaust on that engine I think. maybe check your manual.

I had looked in the service manual for specs using the model number and I had checked the left side valve lash first few days before when I found that cylinder was dead and seen the aluminum on the intake.

Good info about some aluminum push rods on the exhaust side I was not aware of that. (and have not seen a service manual for a Intek Twin OHV that ever indicated such) I'll note that in my existing service manual as a heads up.

Another good point about telling a woman she is wrong.
I would NEVER EVER DO THAT. (even if I knew she is wrong)

Thanks for that info. ;)

I'm thinking she was smarter than her boss. I was in his shop one day and he sold a new briggs starter with a plastic gear. Customer said that his had a steel gear. Owner says ' this one will work ok'.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Fri May 27, 2022 6:41 am

You mentioned that on some Briggs engines that use a aluminum and steel push rod on the ex and intake that the aluminum might be used on the exhaust valve instead of the intake valve, MAYBE because the compression release is on the exhaust.

I'm wondering, why it would really matter or make any difference on a small engine that is not being operated at high rpms??? :?:

Why not just use the same material for both??? (expansion, weight???) :?:

Briggs trying to save a penny in cost of metal? (maybe a BINGO on this one?)
Last edited by Arkie on Fri May 27, 2022 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby SUKI » Fri May 27, 2022 7:03 am

38racing wrote:I'm thinking she was smarter than her boss. I was in his shop one day and he sold a new briggs starter with a plastic gear. Customer said that his had a steel gear. Owner says ' this one will work ok'.

OH yeah that works. 16T in place of a 14T.

I had over the weekend that tried using some DIYer to repair his mower. First brings in a new starter with the plastic gear teeth ground to a nub. Said his starter had a metal gear so I had him to bring the old starter so I could swap the gears out. With an hour he was back with the gear broken in half. I ask him the bring in the mower so I could see what was going on. Well he didn't. A few days the DIYer shows up saying the motor has broken a second $16 steel gear. While talking to him I found the starter the customer brought in was not the original starter. The original starter was the old type with the roll pin. I never seen one of them with a metal gear so asked which ring gear he had. He said was metal but didn't if it steel or aluminum. So I based my decision on experience and sold him another plastic gear gear. That was Tuesday morning and I haven't seen him back as this Friday morning.

I don't know when JW is going to learn to just bring the mower to me instead trying to go the cheap route and ends up spending more in the end. I been here for over 6 yrs now and he has done this several times ending up with the mower in my shop each time. He is only a mile away. At least he sold his Huskee with the Tecumseh V-twin with twin carbs. He had problems with it for two years before I got it in my shop and found everyone was missing that one carburetor was not choking properly.

At least I got a good look at the starter that metal gear was on. It look like some had used a hi amp car battery on it as the winding were burned, the plastic insulation was melted, and brushes broken. Nothing was savable other than the starter Bendix and the metal end caps even the magnets were damaged.
SUKI
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby SUKI » Fri May 27, 2022 7:08 am

Arkie wrote:You mentioned that on some Briggs engines that use a aluminum and steel push rod on the ex and intake that the aluminum might be used on the exhaust valve instead of the intake valve, MAYBE because the compression release is on the exhaust.

I'm wondering, why it would really matter or make any difference on a small engine that is not being operated at high rpms??? :?:

Why not just use the same material for both??? (expansion, weight???) :?:

I believe it was the expansion [lengthening of the rod when heated] that was the factor.

Personally I have not seen aluminum push rods on the exhaust here but of course I haven't all the Briggs engine styles either.
SUKI
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum