• Advertisement

Hustler zero turn question

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Hustler zero turn question

Postby jerkputter123 » Sun May 29, 2022 2:41 pm

My neighbor has a Hustler model 935916 serial number 16124755 zero turn mower with 200 hours on it. He said he replaced the PTO clutch last week. Today I heard it stop when he was cutting grass. He asked me to take a look. It wouldn't start. I found the 15 amp fuse blown under seat and replaced it so he could get to my basement. Don't ask me why I get into things like this but anyway they are good people so I am trying to help.

I removed the plug in from electric clutch and it showed 2.8 ohms which I think is in specs .

He has bypassed the seat switch . With key on, engine off and I pull PTO it pops that 15 amp fuse . I had plugged the wire back in electric clutch when checking. If I remove the fuse and put a wire across where fuse goes just for a second its like a dead short. Much better than blowing fuses. I can tell pretty quick doing that.

All looked good at PTO switch but I didn't test it yet . The clutch does Ohm correct. Wire shorted maybe ?

He did mention to me that it has been breaking the bolt that holds the clutch on. He said he got a grade 8 bolt to cure that but I would think this mower came with grade 8 .

Before I start on this tomorrow anyone got any tips on what might be happening to cause it to blow that 15 amp fuse. I did notice when we first replaced the fuse this morning to get it back running it sounded like the starter was dragging but it did finally crank and run. He engaged the PTO and it blew that fuse and wouldn't start back until he put another fuse in.

I would think it the clutch was bad it would have high resistance when testing with meter but its normal or within the correct range at 2.8 ohms. Thanks for any info.
jerkputter123
Guide

Advertisement

Re: Hustler zero turn question

Postby bgsengine » Sun May 29, 2022 3:50 pm

put together with "dragging starter" first thing I'd be checking is ground continuity between engine and battery negative. if PTO is trying to ground out but not reaching battery ground, it's just another high resistance, which as we know would cause higher amps draw.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby jerkputter123 » Sun May 29, 2022 6:54 pm

I checked the ground good this morning

because he had mentioned that he had replaced the solenoid three times in the last year. Not sure if he got the OEM or cheap ones. Good engine grounds every place I tested it. PTO switch looks like new. No burnt places anywhere I see.

The only thing that I disconnect where its not shorted is the electric clutch. It ohms good though and appears to not be shorted internally .

I have a battery here I can connect to see if I hear the clutch click. I have a jumper wire with a 15 amp fuse inline so I guess I can connect it externally with this battery and see what happens. I will use the other jumper wire connected to negative post on battery and connect it to the black wire going into clutch which I assume is the ground. If its shorted then it will blow this inline jumper wire fuse I would think.
This mower has the Kohler KT745-747 engine 26 hp
I found the manual online so I will see what I can read. Meanwhile if anyone has suggestions they are appreciated.
Edit After looking over the electrical part of the manual I see that the 15 amp fuse is the master fuse. From battery to starter solenoid to master fuse then to ignition switch then to clutch.
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Mon May 30, 2022 5:46 am

First the factory PTO bolt is a CS .437-20X3.25 HXG5 P85 [Cap Screw 7/16-20 x 3.25 Hex Head Grade 5] It is note that it is to be replaced whenever the PTO is removed. Grade 8 won't hurt. With the G5 breaking either it was being over torqued {Torque to 45–48 ft-lbs.] or the PTO is wrong for the PTO shaft.

As for the Engine you have posted an invalid spec number so I was unable to lookup it specs for the PTO end of the crankshaft.

As for the electrical PTO field is within spec. I suspect a bare place in the wiring leading to the clutch assy or there is a defect in the field windings allowing the armature to ground out the field when the clutch is operating.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby jerkputter123 » Mon May 30, 2022 7:40 am

I checked the wiring last night and didn't see any bare wires that would cause it to short but I could have missed something as my eyes are old like me. lol It sort of hard for me to get my hands where the harness is also. I can look again today.

It seems to have a dead short just by plugging the connection in at clutch. I checked this with engine off, switch key on and PTO yellow button pulled. No fuse in line just arcing where the fuse goes with a small jump wire. I can tell something is shorted when I touch the wire across where the fuse goes. Almost like arcing a wire across a battery. When I first walked down and stuck a 15 amp fuse in It popped it the second he pulled PTO and of course engine shut off. I told him not to pull PTO after I put another fuse in so he could drive it to my basement.

When I walked down to where the mower was I smelled something burnt but the engine had some oil on muffler and things were hot for sure. Sort of smelled like burnt wires but it was hard to tell. I heard it shut off and almost hid lol
The numbers I posted was on the air filter. Sorry about that
Try these SPEC PS-KT745-3078 ser # 4626401814 date 09/20/2018

Let me try my test with a 12 volt battery and see if it pops the fuse. I will post back results
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby jerkputter123 » Mon May 30, 2022 10:57 am

Its nothing wrong with the clutch. I connected my 12 volt battery to clutch connector and it engaged like it should. Got to be shorted to ground somewhere back to PTO switch. This thing is nasty so I got to blow it off where I can see it
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Tue May 31, 2022 5:45 am

I suppose you are using a separate battery or are you using the mounted battery? If separate battery test for voltage on the PTO case to the battery ground. [negative terminal] This is provided that clutch is connected the same as the equipment wiring. This just makes sure the field is isolated from the frame.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby jerkputter123 » Tue May 31, 2022 7:30 am

I was using a battery sitting on the basement floor at rear of machine. Took two jumper wires and with clutch wire unplugged I connected those jumper wires to clutch and it engaged without blowing my 15 amp fuse I have inline on my positive jumper wire.
I will try your method and using my battery and see what happens.
I had the mower battery disconnected when I was doing this. I think I understand what you are saying . I will have to wake up good lol
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby jerkputter123 » Tue May 31, 2022 10:20 am

I forgot my battery as left it at my shop. I only had a 30 amp fuse with me so I stuck in it the one that has been blowing.. I remove the connection at clutch before I did this. I then plugged in at clutch it for a second to see if it would engage and heard a click not there but up on the mower. That burned up the PTO switch . I now have to buy one.
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Tue May 31, 2022 2:05 pm

Don't have Covid brain fog I hope.

Here today's morning was so frustrating that I can't get my act together this afternoon. My Kawasaki Distributor said if they don't have in stock or on order it may take 3-4 weeks before they get the parts in. I could just scream. Two major repairs and one is a commercial client. Over 3/4 of parts are not in stock at the distributor's warehouse.

Everything I ordering is taking weeks to get here now. A lot worst than when Covid was peaking last year.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum