• Advertisement

How Smooth are 2-Cycle Engines Supposed to Idle?

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

How Smooth are 2-Cycle Engines Supposed to Idle?

Postby Merkava_4 » Mon May 30, 2022 2:28 pm

The new ECHO PB-9010T is not idling as smooth as I want it to. It definitely doesn't idle as smooth as my PB-580T. On the PB580T, if you turn the idle speed up far enough and have the idle mixture set perfect, it'll idle so smooth to the point where it doesn't shake around at all. This PB-9010T on the other hand, is not smooth until you bring it up to part throttle. I was able to rotate the air cleaner box out of the way while leaving it still fully functional for setting the idle mixture. I don't have the short Echo 91159S adjuster. I have the long version 91159L which required me to move the air cleaner out of the way to make room for the tool. The blower is brand new out of the box. I didn't even attach the blower tubes.
Merkava_4
Guide

Advertisement

Re: How Smooth are 2-Cycle Engines Supposed to Idle?

Postby bgsengine » Mon May 30, 2022 3:48 pm

Might want to check the rotating parts (blower fan, mounts, etc) for any loose or missing hardware or balance issues - also power blower needs to be fully assembled with tubes installed to get a proper adjustment (the tubes and blowing air are the load, if you block off the outlet tube for no air flow, it's like running a chainsaw wide open without bar & chain installed)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Tue May 31, 2022 2:09 pm

Need to the tubes attached for the back pressure and then it might smooth out somewhat. OR it could like an old McCullough chainsaw that use use when it was new. It would bounce all over the place idling. After a few months of use it smoothed out.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Merkava_4 » Tue May 31, 2022 2:32 pm

Thanks for posting bgsengine and KE4AVB. This morning I took the Echo back to the dealer and got me a STIHL BR 800 X. I already have a BR 600 and I love that machine. The BR 800 X is a muscular version of a BR 600 that's already plenty muscular in its own right. Now I don't have to worry about finding the special short Micro D adjuster. They can remain on back order as long as they want. The STIHL takes a 4mm hex driver and they're easy to get off eBay. Mixture needles are right on the front of the machine in plain sight. The carburetor is covered by the front cover which is nice in keeping it clean and away from debris. The BR 800 X ran fine right out of the box. All I had to do it raise the idle speed and slightly richen the L side. I thought I might have heard a slight increase in idle RPM when going slightly richer, so I left it at that. These machines that STIHL makes are very nice and the quality is top drawer.
Merkava_4
Guide

Return to Technical Discussion Forum