• Advertisement

Hustler zero turn question

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Hustler zero turn question

Postby jerkputter123 » Tue May 31, 2022 2:33 pm

KE4AVB wrote:Don't have Covid brain fog I hope.

Here today's morning was so frustrating that I can't get my act together this afternoon. My Kawasaki Distributor said if they don't have in stock or on order it may take 3-4 weeks before they get the parts in. I could just scream. Two major repairs and one is a commercial client. Over 3/4 of parts are not in stock at the distributor's warehouse.

Everything I ordering is taking weeks to get here now. A lot worst than when Covid was peaking last year.

Not Covid brain, just old age :)
[size=150]I have heard the same thing around here from people who work on things like you do for a living about getting parts. Not sure when things will get better. I had a person last week tell me his mower had been in the shop for 2 months and they still don't have the parts.
I normally know how to test things but I swear some days I get lost on what I am doing lol
Maybe the PTO switch was what had it shorted. Its for sure got to have one now because I finished it off when I stuck that 30 amp in it. My thinking was it the wires were shorted on the Hustler it would blow the fuse without. I have not cranked this mower up, just turn on switch and the pull PTO. I knew it sparked too much yesterday when I removed the fuse and went across it with a wire. I also knew better than to be putting a 30 amp in it :(
Here is what I was thinking .

A short cut test would be to disconnect the clutch harness nearest to the clutch. With a fresh fuse, run the PTO switch test again. If it shorts and blows the fuse, your problem is with the wire, likely not the clutch. If the fuse does not blow, your problem is likely with the clutch.
It don't blow unless I plug wire in clutch.
What you think
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Tue May 31, 2022 4:03 pm

It is bare in place the wiring as BGS suggests or a field sorting the frame of the PTO clutch.

Here I have made up a short jumper set with a blade fuse holder (7.5 to 10 amp fuse installed). From there installing it inline at the clutch would point to either the clutch or the wiring harness / PTO switch. If the fuse blow it is the clutch, if it don't then the problem is before the fuse.

What got me worried is how the retaining screw [bolt] have been broken several times as the new clutch may have gotten damage falling off.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby jerkputter123 » Tue May 31, 2022 6:11 pm

I have a jump wire that is fused but yesterday when I checked it with my battery I was using a 25 amp fuse. I stuck a 15 amp in a while ago using my battery and the clutch works fine and it didn't blow the fuse. I tried it many times and I even left it connected for 2 or 3 minutes and fuse didn't blow.
Now I am wondering if the PTO switch might have been the problem . I got to have a switch anyway so I will know later this week when I get it if this solves the problem. That clutch sounded good and solid when I put 12 volts to it.
When I use a jump wire I normally put a 5 amp fuse in it because I will short a wire in a heart beat :) Burned my finger too many times using those alligator clips in the past but not now with that fused wire.
I will look more but so far I can't find any bare wires in the harness. I will report back what I find but I know the clutch is good and not grounded internally which the ohm meter showed to begin with.

jerkputter123
Guide

Postby jerkputter123 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:22 am

I just had a brain wave lol Now that I know my clutch is good I will try this after I wake up good. I am going to jump across the PTO switch terminals that send 12 volts back to electric clutch and see if it blows the 15 amp fuse. If it blows the fuse then I will know for sure the wiring harness has a bare place on it somewhere from the switch to clutch. I know my PTO switch is bad and I think that was the problem. My bet is it won't blow the fuse . I hope the fuse don't blow because I don't want to start checking wires. I sometimes lose bets lol but I will know soon and post my results.
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby jerkputter123 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:06 am

I would have lost that bet. I went across the two orange wires on PTO with connector disconnected. Plugged connector back to clutch and it blew the fuse quick. Some where in that harness the orange wire is touching the ground. Crap. Now I got to use my old eyes and find it but not today.
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby jerkputter123 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:10 am

KE4AVB wrote:I suppose you are using a separate battery or are you using the mounted battery? If separate battery test for voltage on the PTO case to the battery ground. [negative terminal] This is provided that clutch is connected the same as the equipment wiring. This just makes sure the field is isolated from the frame.

Brain fog 101 lol
I just got around to doing this test KE4AVB. The mower is in my back yard, not at my shop so I had many others things to do plus I doubt I will get any money for this neighbor mower lol

I have 11.8 volts on case of electric clutch when doing the test you suggested. This proves that the field is not isolated from frame.
My question is what good do the Ohm test do ? I watched several people on youtube test these clutches and not one mentioned to check it like you said.
But the more I think about this is I might have something is this circuit going to ground when I pull the PTO switch. I will check it more when I get home.
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:02 pm

It just something experience will teach you as I had several of these over the years to do this. Most times this is not something would normally but your problem suggest that this might be the case. It appears to be a defective clutch assy.

The ohm test if done right does include testing the field to the metal case for shorting.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby jerkputter123 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:46 pm

KE4AVB wrote:It just something experience will teach you as I had several of these over the years to do this. Most times this is not something would normally but your problem suggest that this might be the case. It appears to be a defective clutch assy.

The ohm test if done right doe include testing the field to the metal case for shorting.

Here is how I did the test. First with meter set to continuity it beeps when I touch case with one lead and the other lead to positive terminal on electric clutch, same when I touch the negative one. I think that shows me the clutch is shorted.
If set the meter on the 200 ohm scale and test across both negative and positive terminals on clutch I get 2.8 ohms. That is with wire connection disconnected from clutch. Did I do it correct ?
How does the manual say the way to test the clutch with DVOM ? I might be doing it wrong
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:56 pm

That is what I coming with on this end too. as it should be reading an open circuit when testing the metal casing.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby jerkputter123 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:12 pm

KE4AVB wrote:That is what I coming with on this end too. as it should be reading an open circuit when testing the metal casing.

I can say for sure then this clutch is toast. I appreciate you taking the time to help. When I watch video's online nobody ever shows testing the way you explained. THANKS
jerkputter123
Guide

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Discussion Forum