• Advertisement

Husqvarna 150BT lopsided flywheel

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Husqvarna 150BT lopsided flywheel

Postby puttinalong » Tue May 31, 2022 6:58 pm

Husqvarna 150BT blower.

Friend said it was running rough and then could not pull to start.

Inspected cylinder, remove spark plug, etc.

-Blower housing taken off and see the flywheel rubbing against the coil.
-Flywheel lopsided, flywheel key slight imperfection but not sheared.
-Put new flywheel in and reinstalled, pull started with no plug perfect with business card gap.
-Buttoned everything up and went to pull start it---caught again on flywheel with third pull of cord.
-Took off everything to find flywheel lopsided again.

Friend said he did not hit anything and did not drop it. He bought it a few years ago and used with no issues.

Two questions
1. Anyone ever experienced something like this before and know why? (I am thinking it is too much "slop" in keyway in flywheel and need a new flywheel, but I have never experienced that in 13 years of my amateur repair work.

2. I need to get a flywheel remover tool, I bought the small Briggs' puller but it is too small. I know there is a medium and a large size but unsure which one of those would I need to pull this flywheel again. The small engine shop already zipped it off the first time for me free of charge after I ordered the small puller...ugh.

***The crankshaft nut is upside down I know because I thought I would be able to rig piece of metal in the shed to act as a flywheel puller...but I was wrong again.***

Here is a link to a short video showing the gap at coil and the crank spacing: https://photos.app.goo.gl/qjLpu6nU8QKY5VU5A
puttinalong

Advertisement

Re: Husqvarna 150BT lopsided flywheel

Postby bgsengine » Tue May 31, 2022 9:23 pm

I'd say bent crank or bearing failure.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby puttinalong » Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:18 am

Thank you. I will work on this tomorrow evening and report back. I am an amateur and enjoy this as a hobby but admire the knowledge you all have and your willingness to share. I had never come across this yet and did not even think of the bearing causing this. Thank you and whatever I find, I will report back so others can learn along with me.

I appreciate it!
puttinalong

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:37 am

Don't need a puller if you have a appropriate threaded flywheel knocker to bump the flywheel off the taper.

I couldn't find the spec for the nut so I don't know what that threading is.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby puttinalong » Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:01 pm

The final culprit...worn bearing.

Next question...Is there a bearing press you can recommend for small engines so I can install new bearings?
puttinalong

Postby creia » Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:41 pm

puttinalong wrote:The final culprit...worn bearing.

Next question...Is there a bearing press you can recommend for small engines so I can install new bearings?

Very interesting post...
Thank you for posting what you found out- it is appreciated! :)
The collective knowledge on this forum is pretty amazing. There are a few individuals in particular (we all know who they are 8-) ) who are extremely knowledgeable and experienced and demonstrate great kindness in continually helping others out. I too am a amateur small engine builder and have been the recipient numerous times of their help. Every now and then I am able to help someone else on this forum out which brings me great joy. :D
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:21 am

The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby puttinalong » Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:47 am

Well my dear sir (insert smiling man here...), anytime I have a reason to buy a new tool I will jump at the opportunity. Thank you for giving me a reason to get a new tool and helping to level the domestic playing field as my wife spends money on things she wants; I can now spend a little bit on tools.

Christmas in June!

Thank you.
puttinalong

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:33 am

puttinalong wrote:Well my dear sir (insert smiling man here...), anytime I have a reason to buy a new tool I will jump at the opportunity. Thank you for giving me a reason to get a new tool and helping to level the domestic playing field as my wife spends money on things she wants; I can now spend a little bit on tools.

Christmas in June!

Thank you.

Boy this year has been a spend on this and that here. Just brought several deep well impact sockets and 39mm seal driver for the my latest adventure with another tech with a Harley front fork project. At that project tools cost are being split three ways. The customer is paying one third, my tech friend is paying a third, and I am paying the last third and I get to keep the tool. The socket are on me but I needed them anyways. 1-3/8, 22mm, 27mm, 35mm and a second 36mm. Hopefully the tool boxes will come down some by the end of the year but where in the heck I going to another one.

Then of it seems everytime I turn around something is breaking. Started with the hot water heater. Since then the well water tank blew (two holes temporarily plugged), rats the power cable to the well in two, stove burned out a surface element, chickens destroyed a monitor, and my latest failures were over the weekend with my printer failing (just brought ink cartridge) and then my RH mirror on truck just out. Got to research that one for my 2000 Chevy. Now of course my rear deck needs rebuilding as the previous owner used the cheapest PT lumber he could find. Isn't old age fun?

As for the tool I posted I need to get one myself, just been working around it as I haven't needed to split a case yet.

Just wish things would stop breaking to give me a chance to refill the bank account. Mentioning bank account my bank decided they going to upgrade me (their term) in July. They are adding a bunch of services I don't and starting to charge $12 / month. Well that just made me to start the process of switching over the local credit union. Now setting the CC accounts online has been a pain with the extreme security in place. I manage after fighting for several days to my business account setup partially. When I open it up at the CC they didn't give me the account and R&T numbers which I got to have for ACH transfers. And it appears that I got to setup a separate present for the personal savings account. Oh well maybe I go in early this week to make a deposit and get the poop so I can finish setting up my vendors payment accounts.

At least I only have the animals that I got share my funds with. I almost made the mistake of getting married but that I keep hush about as everyone has different reasons for getting married or not. It just wasn't for me.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum