• Advertisement

Briggs OHV single cylinder?

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Briggs OHV single cylinder?

Postby Arkie » Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:19 pm

KE4AVB wrote:Ah I see where we were going wrong our thinking. It all about the point of view. It is CW when viewed from flywheel side but CCW when viewed from the PTO end. Now does this makes sense? So I got to clarify my manual notes.

Yea, I had thought of that and it does say to turn the shaft.

I Just added a note to turn the FLYWHEEl CW 1/4 turn past TDC. (when facing the flywheel)
Not often someone is going to crawl under a lawn tractor or vertical shaft engine to turn the shaft CCW to set the valve lash. But the service manual is also indicating for Horiz shaft engines CCW on shaft end PTO also and that would be same results.

Like you say brain twister point of view by Briggs.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:35 pm

The head is still on my parts engine and I looked at the engine's valve cover (several times and used a magnifying glass to make sure) and a parts list does not show on-line??????????? :o :?:

Model 34P677
type 0113 E1
code 061222ZA

????????
31P677 0113E1 pops up but no 34P????????????

My bad cam engine shows that I probably need a 84005207 camshaft

Can anyone find and post a link for the above engine parts list so as to see if the it's the same camshaft part number?
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:01 pm

Got to be a miss stamped number; never seen or heard a Briggs 34 CI engine. Can you post a snap shot of the number?

When I use P677-0113-E1 as a search parm of the Briggs Power Portal the 31P is the only engine that shows.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:48 pm

"My bad cam engine shows that I probably need a 84005207 camshaft"

That's the one I just bought for my 31 engine. I got mine from repairclinic. I haven't installed it yet

When you initially asked how do you know if acr is not working the answer could be that it says briggs 31 or 33 on the model number because it reminded me once about reading 'how do you know if a car has a blown head gasket' . Answer was 'it says dodge colt on the trunk lid'
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:31 am

The number PLAINLY stamped a 34
When the 34 did not fly on-line I re-checked it carefully under a lighted magnifying glass.
Will probably be about my luck that BRIGGS only made ONE of the 34P engines and all the internals are different and so RARE that it's all worthless as a collectors item!!!!!!! :bricks:
When I removed the valve cover the engine is clean under the valve cover, valve train looks good but the engine is bad inside and won't make a full revolution which increases the chance that cam might be good if no broken gears or broke cam. (thinking the engine was being used when it broke inside)

I'll get the sump off in few days and inspect the donor cam.

Since the ACR is centrifugal operated and not operating at all, do you usually see/find a broken spring or broke worn plastic or what when the ACR quits on these cams ?????????? (I did not measure the lift but the rocker arm has about same amount of travel up/down as the ex rocker indicating that the lobe is ok)
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:28 am

i found pieces of the acr in my crankcase.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:05 am

That's the key thing. Finding all the pieces of the ACR and looking for other damage. These things drive me nuts sometimes!
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:05 pm

My fault, NOT BRIGGS FAULT.
Knowing the number in the model should NOT BE a 34 I gave it a careful cleaning and it surfaced as 31. :oops: :bricks:

I get slightly aggravated when someone gives me a WRONG model number over the phone asking me to re-search info for them and I find after searching that something is not correct about the model they gave me, but now this time I got a dose of my own medicine.

I've had to do lots of searching in inside them Briggs crankcases for ALL little pieces of broken governor parts before, putting the puzzle together to see if I found all the pieces.

Thanks for the tips about going looking for broken pieces.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:56 pm

Don't forget to check the oil slinger/governor for damage.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:43 pm

KE4AVB wrote:Don't forget to check the oil slinger/governor for damage.

Will do.
Will the oil pump type engines like this 33 series have a oil slinger also?
I've had governors break on the old L-heads, the governor is working good for now but I'll give it a close inspection.

I looked at a picture of the Briggs Intek OHV Twins cam.
For example a 445577 1187B1

I do not see a external slinger type ACR on the cam wondering if the ACR is built into the Cam's grind profile and if so is their ACR on the intake valves?
Arkie
Forum Pro

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Discussion Forum