• Advertisement

Briggs Oil Filter

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Briggs Oil Filter

Postby lefty » Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:41 pm

I'm struggling with this one.

44R677-0019-G1
150202YG

This came in with an oregon 83-284 filter on it. I ordered a briggs 696854, which is what the parts list says. It came in a Briggs box but the filter in the box is 695396. According to my research, even though it's not what it says on the box, it should still fit. But it doesn't. No matter how many times I try, the threads are not lining up. Keeps trying to cross thread. When I look up the 83-284 oregon, it doesn't show as a fit for this engine. It comes back as a match for a kohler filter.

The filter came off easy and there was no leaking. Could someone have screwed this up in the past?

Thanks.
lefty
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Briggs Oil Filter

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:30 pm

The threading of the oil filter for that engine should be 3/4"-16. Use a thread gauge to check the thread pitch of both the engine nipple and the filter.

You may have a screwed up filter.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:12 am

Thank you. I'll get my caliper and gauge on there today.

But for the record, if those threads are buggered up, it's not from me. I couldn't even get them started. I'm super gentle with those filters.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:37 am

lefty wrote:Thank you. I'll get my caliper and gauge on there today.

But for the record, if those threads are buggered up, it's not from me. I couldn't even get them started. I'm super gentle with those filters.

Didn't say they were done by you. It not the first I have ran across bad parts.

Just note a trick to installing any screw is to start by trying to unscrew it until drops a thread while pressing it. Just makes sure you are not starting off a thread. Very helpful when installing plastic mounted screws that you have removed. That way you don't start new threads.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:48 am

Thanks for the tip. After being married for so long, it's just a natural reflex to respond with..."it wasn't me".
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:52 pm

lefty wrote:Thanks for the tip. After being married for so long, it's just a natural reflex to respond with..."it wasn't me".

Now that one institution I never joined. It is one where you are guilty until proven not guilty.

It is like being the oldest of three boys. I was always guilty for anything that happen out of sight. There is no telling how times I got a whipping for something one my brothers did; until, one day the middle one got catch red handed. Now of course he had to recover from his injury before he got his tail tore up. He had forgotten my mother's promise about doing it.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:37 am

KE4AVB wrote:The threading of the oil filter for that engine should be 3/4"-16. Use a thread gauge to check the thread pitch of both the engine nipple and the filter.

You may have a screwed up filter.

That must have been the case. I ended up getting one locally and all is well. I sent the other one back. Thanks again.
lefty
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum