• Advertisement

Spark plug threads

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Spark plug threads

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:26 am

With head being Aluminum use rubbing alcohol on the tap as grease or oil will cause the tap to jam. Plus also so far at a time and back to clean out the chips and reapply the alcohol.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:30 pm

Done and done. Thanks for the help on that.

So on to the main issue of why it's here. The owner reported that it would run 15 minutes fine and then die. I've verified I have venting on the fuel tank and noticed that after running for a while and being warm, the choke was barely open. So I assumed a bad choke and since it was pretty cheap, I replaced it. But I'm still noticing that the choke doesn't open when warm. I'm used to seeing it wide open. The linkage for the choke appears to move freely. It's one of the thermostat types mounted onto the muffler. Compression test shows just under 90 psi. Since it runs fine most of the time I haven't attacked the carb yet. The choke thing is throwing me off but if anyone thinks it's a carb issue, I'm ready to get at it.

Thanks.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:58 pm

lefty wrote:Done and done. Thanks for the help on that.

So on to the main issue of why it's here. The owner reported that it would run 15 minutes fine and then die. I've verified I have venting on the fuel tank and noticed that after running for a while and being warm, the choke was barely open. So I assumed a bad choke and since it was pretty cheap, I replaced it. But I'm still noticing that the choke doesn't open when warm. I'm used to seeing it wide open. The linkage for the choke appears to move freely. It's one of the thermostat types mounted onto the muffler. Compression test shows just under 90 psi. Since it runs fine most of the time I haven't attacked the carb yet. The choke thing is throwing me off but if anyone thinks it's a carb issue, I'm ready to get at it.

Thanks.

There's an adjustment process for those choke linkages , and if it is the air vane type , they commonly can have clearance issues in the blower housing and/or over the coil (make sure it moves absolutely freely without touching *anything*) either case proper adjustment involves bending (linkage or t-stat arm, as the case may be)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby lefty » Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:07 pm

It's this type.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/tQJBF33oQzKExc4o9

Does it require adjustment? It attaches to the muffler with two nuts on studs and to the carb with two torx, t20 if i remember correctly. The rod linkage twists when actuated.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:30 pm

Havent seen that type before, but there's always an adjustment, probably time to go dig into the repair manual and read up on it.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:42 pm

No adjustment in the manual. Just supposed to open 1/2 to 3/4 when 15 in of vacuum is applied. The black plastic arm can be removed and relocated if necessary. Also make sure you got that crazy choke linkage installed correctly too.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum