• Advertisement

echo blower

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

echo blower

Postby jerkputter123 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:36 am

I own an Echo blower model PB-250. Engine family : AEHXS.0254KH 25.4 CC
I have the carburetor adjusting tool but this season its not working like in the past. I always use sta-bil when I put it up for the season. This year when I set the mixture it runs fine. I crank it back and have to set it again. Compression is 80 psi. New spark plug also plus air cleaner. Not sure if its worth putting a kit in carburetor or not but they may be what I have to do. Idles fine and once I set it the thing runs good until I turn if off and try again later. Not terrible but not great like when it was new. I assume the 80 psi is enough and I do understand crank seals go bad .
jerkputter123
Guide

Advertisement

Re: echo blower

Postby RoyM » Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:50 am

80psi? It shouldn't start! Sounds like your gauge is off. Look for an intake air leak.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:09 pm

It does take compression that check small CC engines, plus the hose check valve must be right the cylinder end of the hose.

But if you do have such a gauge then like Roy said it shouldn't be running at all as here it 99% of the if the compression is below 100 psi on my Actron gauge the engines are worn out.

Even an engine that has borderline compression will act as you describe. And yes leaky seals and gaskets will cause problems too but doesn't affect compression; unless, you have a spark arrester clogged with carbon.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:53 pm

and last but not least: make sure you are checking compression properly - gage in, throttle held wide open, crank engine over multiple times until gauge needle stops moving (pulling it over once or twice ain't the way.)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:33 am

I haven't found any service data on the PB-250 but the PB-251 indicates a compression of 126 psi is a normal reading.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby jerkputter123 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:51 pm

My gauge is good but its not for small engines like these. I use it on the ezgo robbin engines I work on. I had the right adapter that screwed into the cylinder and I always hold throttle wide open. I know about those false reading one gets when that's not done. I will check again on the intake but I called myself checking that. Maybe its time for a carburetor kit.
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby jerkputter123 » Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:57 am

I adjusted the blower Thursday and it ran good for 30 minutes. Ran great at wide open throttle also and idled perfect. It would take the gas as soon as I hit the trigger. I tried it yesterday and it would hardly run. I let it warm up and it just wouldn't take the gas.
Almost determined to order one of those cheap carburetors which I always advise against on the ezgo's I work on. Just to see if it makes any difference. I think its defiantly a fuel delivery problem but can't figure out why it runs good after I adjust the high speed jet then don't after I let it sit of a day or even an hour.
I don't think it would idle this good if compression was the issue. I also just don't think my tester will work on this small of an engine. When looking at piston through muffler hole its looks like new. No carbon anywhere in muffler or cylinder. Always used non ethanol gas since I bought it and put stay bil in it come winter time. It cranks on the third pull also.
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:51 pm

Maybe you are tuning it wrong.

Here is the tuning directions.

Larger image>
https://i.imgur.com/ehtNCwo.png
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby jerkputter123 » Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:50 am

KE4AVB wrote:Maybe you are tuning it wrong.

Here is the tuning directions.

Larger image>
https://i.imgur.com/ehtNCwo.png

I kept adjusting it and let it be. It seems to be running ok for now. That is an interesting post on adjusting though. Thanks for the link. :D
jerkputter123
Guide

Return to Technical Discussion Forum