• Advertisement

Husky PTO electrical

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Husky PTO electrical

Postby Gerry » Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:02 pm

Have a Husky MZ52 967277401 01 DOM 2013. PTO would not engage blades, did some TS and found bad pull switch. Still had some concerns as I found a spade on the switch that had a small amount of melting with wiring harness. Did a ohms test on clutch and reading was 2.1 ohms. Owner said that blades has cut out a couple of times. Is the PTO clutch on its way to the scrap pile or could the melting just be from switch going bad? Would it help if I run the PTO to heat up and try another ohms test?

Thanks in advance.
Gerry
Guide

Advertisement

Re: Husky PTO electrical

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:44 pm

With the clutch withing the good range it might just be that the F56 terminal is loose. Inspect to see if the spring hinge is cracked.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:36 pm

Not knowing the specs for your clutch such as amps and ohms: You might consider testing the clutch amps draw.
If you have a DC ammeter that will read in the range of 0-10 amps you can do a amps draw test of the electric clutch without the engine running. I prefer to see most lawn tractor electric clutches at 4-5 amps from a 12v static battery. You can also jumper the electric clutch direct to a 12v battery to get amps readings. I would use a 10 amp in-line fuse just in case you have a intermittent overload connection at the clutch or it's wiring
(engine not running) Your ohms reading is indicating a amps draw of around 6 amps which may be ok.

Loose fitting spade connections and/or rusty connections produce heat when under and normal amps load. The use of dielectric grease really helps to reduce the effects of corroded electrical connections.
Some of them PTO pull switches are quite costly is another reason to check the clutch load amps or at least fuse the circuit to reduce chance of ruining another switch.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:39 pm

In addition, feel for a diode in the PTO harness. I don't always see them in the literature.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:05 am

Well here is the specs for the PTO clutch.

Technical Specifications
Function Clutch / Brake
Voltage 12 VDC
Rated Torque (lb-ft) 200
Rotation CCW
Current Draw (Amps) 6.53
Resistance (Ohms) 1.84
Connection Type integral
Pulley/Flange OD (in) 6
Bore Diameter (in) 1.125
Mounting Standard
Weight (lbs) 12.5
D-drive Number 807-0168 included with this clutch/brake
Cable Accessory 5218-251-001 included with this clutch/brake

Manufacturers Part Numbers 2900263, 574607001, N-76220, 255-7790

And it usual to a little higher resistance than the minimum spec'd ohms and current draw is usually less too.

Also a note on the PTO. These are rated for 5 amp draw so Husqvarna pushed specs.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum