• Advertisement

John Deere mower

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: John Deere mower

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:44 am

Arkie, Murphy is also watching and listening...I told him to go visit my competitors and he did.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:01 pm

What is the main reason for installing new lifters when installing a NEW replacement cam into a Briggs Intek?
Would you install a new cam W/O installing new lifters?
Will the old lifters possibly cause the new cam lobes to wear out faster. (When replacing a automotive cam, ALWAYS install new lifters because the old lifters may not rotate (spin) when used with new cam, the rotating lifter reduces cam lobe wear. The cam lobe is ground at a slight top angle so as to rotate a good flat bottom lifter.

Is the same true for small engines such as the 31,33 series Briggs??

I've noticed some Briggs replacement camshafts for the 31 and 33 series comes with both new lifters (ex and intake) and some replacement cams do not come with new lifters.
Does the small engine lifters wear concave or cup on the bottom or maybe get bent?
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:37 am

When Briggs superseded the 793880 they stopped including the tappets. They just want us to pay more for installing camshafts by buying the tappets separately. Beside most of the tappets are not even worn because it is the dang ACRs that are failing. Now if I have a cam lobe failure then yes I put in new tappets. Now automobiles are different as they have lots of hours on them so when you change a camshaft the lifters do need changing. Besides I like changing over to variable duration lifters.

It like the way our food companies have done by downsizing products but raise the price for the items. Many companies think this works but reality it just causes customers to quit items or at least has for me.

When it comes to Briggs they really screwed up filing bankruptcy because they paid the company's officers a big bonuses and then stab their suppliers in the back as they refused to pay them. Many of those suppliers now refuse to work with Briggs (I can not blame either) and Briggs is having to depend on China to fill for these suppliers. We can't even get timely deliveries of these camshafts. Currently they are on back order until after Christmas. At least I got two of them in stock.

This year I seen the fewest Briggs engines ever in my 13 yrs of business. I only worked about five Briggs engines so far this year.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:34 am

the oem i got in june included the lifters.
38racing
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum