• Advertisement

Misboxed parts ?

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Misboxed parts ?

Postby rrrhre2s » Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:26 pm

Has anyone Been getting OEM Briggs parts correct part # on box wrong part inside ?

Ordered 299637 got 391681...Which is OK since the 391681 was supposedly discontinued ?

Really I would expect the former 299637 to be discontinued never used many of them...

I guess this may be good after all...

rrrhre2s
rrrhre2s

Advertisement

Re: Misboxed parts ?

Postby bgsengine » Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:56 pm

Could have been a dealer return box . I have had that happen before each year the distributor would do a parts return program where dealers could send back unused inventory for a credit on a new parts order (for faster moving parts) but often enough dealers (and distributor) never took care to be sure the part in the box matched up to the part number. I have even gotten *used* (but visually good/clean) parts in a box , as well as once, an EMPTY box, in addition to mis-matched, or incomplete assemblies or missing small components of an assembly (or even parts that had been warrantied already) - Each case, all of them were purchased from distributor on regular parts order, so, contacted distributor (where I purchased from anyway) for resolution / replacement/ warranty , but if you are not a dealer buying from your distributor, chances are you're left holding the bag as the seller/ vendor may claim that YOU swapped it out in order to get a freebie extra part or some such...
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:36 pm

bgsengine wrote:but if you are not a dealer buying from your distributor, chances are you're left holding the bag as the seller/ vendor may claim that YOU swapped it out in order to get a freebie extra part or some such...

How true I got burn on two defective parts from A&I as Briggs policy is have the local dealer make up the parts but none around will honor the warranty on defective new parts even if you have the invoice in hand.

I even had one to have the guts to call a few days wanting to if I was going order the fuel solenoids. I ask are you going to make up the two defective ones and he said no so I ordered a couple aftermarket ones through Amazon. And the dealer lost $50 in profit as Briggs would have reimburse him the full retail price.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:23 pm

I keep a heads up on O'reillys.

I've seen that with O'reillys parts.

That is why when standing at the counter and they bring out a part in a box, I open the box right in front of them. Quite often the name brand on the part inside does not even match the box name and part number. (and I've found the part inside to most generally be bad especially if it's electrical or electronics in nature. :(
Last edited by Arkie on Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby RoyM » Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:14 pm

Packaging AM under OEM labels is not unheard of by greedy vendors. Years ago a Briggs sub distributor who shall remain anonymous got caught, his supplier got suspicious at the number of warranty claims with no corresponding parts purchases so they paid him a surprise visit.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby SUKI » Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:21 am

RoyM wrote:Packaging AM under OEM labels is not unheard of by greedy vendors. Years ago a Briggs sub distributor who shall remain anonymous got caught, his supplier got suspicious at the number of warranty claims with no corresponding parts purchases so they paid him a surprise visit.

Yes there is always crooks out there. I ran into one on Amazon a few years ago myself. Selling parts as OEM and sending out after market parts. What was worst the parts were defective. I sent them back for a refund. I end paying the return shipping and a 30% restocking fee for defective parts. I would have been better off just keeping the defective parts and rebuilding them myself. But I did learn something from it as I ended up rebuilding the customer's CC spindles and even found my current bearing supplier so it was not a total lost, just a disappointment.
SUKI
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby 38racing » Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:25 am

sort of related. For years I took rockauto parts to my auto repair shop. A new owner bought the place and was reluctant. Said wrong part would tie up a hoist. (always a hoist empty under the old owner ,lol) . So I ordered a complete brake kit for my daughter. Box of parts sat at front door for over a week. When the car's in shop I get a call. Rear pads won't fit. I'm right near a napa , so go in for pads. Take them to shop and they don't fit. Owner calls them and I go back for correct ones. I clearly asked for rear but she had given me front. So the shop ended up charging my daughter extra time. Cost me $80 at Napa and my rockauto refund was $20. Whoever boxed the kit at rockauto put in pads with a similar, but incorrect part number. First error in 15 years and I deserve a lot of blame for not opening the box and checking it. I have subsequently found a closer shop that will accept rockauto parts
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:41 am

38racing wrote:sort of related. For years I took rockauto parts to my auto repair shop. A new owner bought the place and was reluctant. Said wrong part would tie up a hoist. (always a hoist empty under the old owner ,lol) . So I ordered a complete brake kit for my daughter. Box of parts sat at front door for over a week. When the car's in shop I get a call. Rear pads won't fit. I'm right near a napa , so go in for pads. Take them to shop and they don't fit. Owner calls them and I go back for correct ones. I clearly asked for rear but she had given me front. So the shop ended up charging my daughter extra time. Cost me $80 at Napa and my rockauto refund was $20. Whoever boxed the kit at rockauto put in pads with a similar, but incorrect part number. First error in 15 years and I deserve a lot of blame for not opening the box and checking it. I have subsequently found a closer shop that will accept rockauto parts

sorta related: First thing I do with most everything, especially parts for auto's and small engines is make sure that I SAVE THE RECEIPT, especially if I know of a WARRANTY, especially if a SO CALLED lifetime warranty us mentioned. I know several people that cannot find their receipt 30 minutes after their purchase.
I've got lifetime warranty receipts that are almost 20 years old and have used them quite often and some recently for auto parts. Most places count on you losing your receipt or trading off the machinery, but if they offer me a lifetime warranty they are eventually going to see me again with my receipts. Exchanged a lifetime warranty 16 year old brake master cylinder for a 1971 Ford F-100 not long ago with NAPA. They said that replacement master cylinder has doubled in price now-days. I said sound like you have a personal problem.
They called the owner and he said give him the replacement but no warranty. (the new replacement one was almost $70.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum