• Advertisement

Briggs 5HP crankshaft timing gear

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Briggs 5HP crankshaft timing gear

Postby creia » Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:01 pm

38racing wrote:I may have a 5 hp tiller that's not going to be restored. Not sure what postage for a crank from canada to california will be. Might have a sliding choke carb on it .

Thank you 38racing. Depending on the engine condition, year it was built (model # on the shroud), and shipping costs I might be interested in some other parts off the engine or possibly the entire engine.
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:03 pm

bgsengine wrote:
38racing wrote:are you referring to the starter clutch that threads on,has the ears for the screen and ball bearings inside?
Yup that is what he means.

Yes, Brian is correct (no surprise) 8-)
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:35 pm

[quote="bgsengine"]
If you weren't all the way over in California, I'd offer to give you (free) all the old leftover engines I have laying around, but I suspect none of them would have the crank you need either... I'll have to go look again at a couple mower engines, but 3.5 HP cranks aren't what you're after either..

Thank you Brian- That is a very kind and gracious offer. :D As you well know my wheelhouse is the old Briggs flatheads from the 1960s and 1970s. I would bet that you do have some parts there I could use, but you are probably right about the shipping costs, not to mention the time and trouble of having to box it up.
That being said, I do very much appreciate the offer...
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:44 pm

Post the type and code if possible.

I have some complete 5hp old Briggs engines with original shrouds in my parts salvage stored out of the weather. Was running some of them few weeks ago and I stored the ones that was running ok but oil burners smoking.
Seems I seen one close to your model # and made way back when maybe even in the 60's.
I have mine tagged in storage so as I do not have to go digging at the shroud for the engine info.

With a type and year I can comapre my old engines to yours.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:00 pm

guy just came by and offered me an international harvester tiller. got to be an oldie. don't know what engine is on it.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:12 pm

38racing wrote:guy just came by and offered me an international harvester tiller. got to be an oldie. don't know what engine is on it.

I've never heard of that one and I'm a International guy. (I've some International vec's and tractors that I call corn binders) Few days ago I was using my Super C tractor that I converted to 12v. (was 6 v pos ground) making deer food plots pulling a disc. Very seldom do I have to use the hand crank now. Some of the new vec's needs the hand crank option and possibly some of the new EV's. ;)

I wear my International cap when I go to the redneck tractor meets. Been offered some serious coils just for my cap.
That tiller might be a collectors item. IH has a interesting history.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:22 pm

Arkie wrote:
38racing wrote:guy just came by and offered me an international harvester tiller. got to be an oldie. don't know what engine is on it.

I've never heard of that one and I'm a International guy.
Yup I have seen one, quite similar to the old Monkey Wards & Gilson (the one I saw was a front tine) they were the old designs where engine sat on a plate that slides back and forth, controlled by lever on the handle that engages & disengages the drive belt.. Learned to drive tractors at age 8 on my Grampa's Farmall A.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby creia » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:40 pm

Arkie wrote:Post the type and code if possible.

I have some complete 5hp old Briggs engines with original shrouds in my parts salvage stored out of the weather. Was running some of them few weeks ago and I stored the ones that was running ok but oil burners smoking.
Seems I seen one close to your model # and made way back when maybe even in the 60's.
I have mine tagged in storage so as I do not have to go digging at the shroud for the engine info.

With a type and year I can compare my old engines to yours.

Arkie, Here you go:
Model # - 130202
Code # - anything that begins with 65-72 which of course is the year of manufacture
You can send me a PM (personal message) on this forum or just send it to my direct email michael.moore@charter.net
Thank you,
Michael
Last edited by creia on Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
creia
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:58 pm

Arkie wrote:

I've never heard of that one and I'm a International guy. (I've some International vec's and tractors that I call corn binders) Few days ago I was using my Super C tractor that I converted to 12v. (was 6 v pos ground) making deer food plots pulling a disc. Very seldom do I have to use the hand crank now. Some of the new vec's needs the hand crank option and possibly some of the new EV's. ;)

I wear my International cap when I go to the redneck tractor meets. Been offered some serious coils just for my cap.
That tiller might be a collectors item. IH has a interesting history.

there's a guy near ottawa that has a huge coverall full oh IH tractors. I have a Massey Ferguson tiller. it's a 73 I think.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:49 pm

creia wrote:Model # - 130202
Type # - anything that begins with 65-72 which of course is the year of manufacture

Michael

Think you mean date code.... Type number has nothing to do with year of manufacture.. :)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Discussion Forum