• Advertisement

aftermarket oil filter fitment

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

aftermarket oil filter fitment

Postby 38racing » Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:21 pm

Just have to wonder what the difference is in different numbered OEM filters when 1 filter can replace so many of them
https://www.bantasaw.com/catalog/viewpr ... p?i=&p=202
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: aftermarket oil filter fitment

Postby bgsengine » Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:49 pm

38racing wrote:Just have to wonder what the difference is in different numbered OEM filters when 1 filter can replace so many of them
https://www.bantasaw.com/catalog/viewpr ... p?i=&p=202

Aftermarket filters may often be sold only on the basis of "it fits" - Thread size and Gasket size - It threads on, and fits, and that's it.

OEM (and higher quality aftermarket) oil filters can have sometimes subtle differences, sometimes as little as just the construction of the filter, different filter media, check valve pop-off pressure, some are built for engines with different pressure relieve (or not even pressurized), and other identical filter may be designed for orientation (horizontal or vertical applications) they may vary in can lengths, diameters, micron sizes, and more.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Re: aftermarket oil filter fitment

Postby SUKI » Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:24 am

Personally I learn not to trust cross references of many vendors. Even the link posted the very first Briggs PN (300314) doesn't even cross to a filter but instead is an 1/4-20X .88 screw and I don't that is a filter.
SUKI
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to Technical Discussion Forum