• Advertisement

MTD 761-04017 lousy quality controls

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

MTD 761-04017 lousy quality controls

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:30 am

Last year I ordered these 761-04017 spindle brake pads.
And this is the quality pads they sent and most where worst then this image. Some had huge chunks missing. I returned them for full credit yet RBI is still trying to sell them. No way they are worth $8.68 ea and I had ordered 12 of them.
What an insult to product quality. I am better off making my own pads once I make a jig for drilling the holes.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: MTD 761-04017 lousy quality controls

Postby Gerry » Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:48 am

That is some sad looking replacements. I guess I got lucky Gardner had a few in stock and I got them few months back. I also am seeing a difference in QA on a MTD belt a few days back I used my last B version of 954-04060. I compared it to a C version and the C is about 5/8 of an inch longer.
Gerry
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:11 pm

Gerry wrote:That is some sad looking replacements. I guess I got lucky Gardner had a few in stock and I got them few months back. I also am seeing a difference in QA on a MTD belt a few days back I used my last B version of 954-04060. I compared it to a C version and the C is about 5/8 of an inch longer.

Oh great I better check the ones I got last year sitting in the storage boxes as 5/8 difference is going to cause issues. But current my personal 42" deck is not running the 1/2 belt but instead is using a Husqvarna 5/8" belt due to the fact I installed a 21 hp on the mower and it was burning up the 1/2 belts. If it is now 5/8 longer that would put it within 1/2 inch of the 5/8 belt.

IF the belts are no longer 96-1/2" long than I need to get in some Stens 265-201 belts.

As for the brake pads the second image is the one on MTDPARTS website. Here is the images of the ones I returned.
And top one is this image was the only one that was acceptable.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby tomw » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:53 am

They ran them through the 'tumble polisher' before placing them in their shipping basket. Boxed, individually or in pairs? Got to be kidding.

Not that it applies, but replacement pads for an AYP were ordered for a 25+ year old, and when they arrived, they had less pad than those that had been in use for all that time. Sent back, with commentary. Also, the length was incorrect and the one that sits in the pocket would not fit without my 'adjusting' its length. No thanks, for that much bucks, I was not going to do their job.
Qaulite is Jbo Noe.

tom
tomw

Return to Technical Discussion Forum