• Advertisement

Briggs 5HP - Crankshaft end play

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Briggs 5HP - Crankshaft end play

Postby creia » Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:35 pm

1969 Briggs 5HP Horizontal shaft
M- 130202 T- 0140-01 C- 6908217

I just finished a complete rebuild/restoration of this engine. After installing the (new) sidecover and .015" (standard) sidecover gasket then torquing the sidecover bolts I could barely even turn the flywheel (struggling) with both hands and there was ZERO crankshaft endplay! :o
If I loosened up the sidecover bolts a few turns I could rotate the flywheel easily. I then added a .010" sidecover gasket, buttoned it up and it was better, but not quite right, and still no discernible crank endplay. I opened it up again , removed the .010" gasket and replaced it with another .015" gasket. After torquing the sidecover bolts it rotated properly and the crankshaft end play was now within specs. :D

This experience was a first for me. In all of these years I have never had to add another sidecover gasket, much less a .015" thick one to get proper crank endplay. Maybe I have just been lucky? The ONLY thing unique to this build was the NOS Briggs sidecover. :? Is this to be expected when using a new sidecover? To you old timers out there that worked on the old Briggs flatheads back in the day, has this ever been your experience? Maybe I just learned something new today, which is not a bad thing by any means... 8-)
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Briggs 5HP - Crankshaft end play

Postby SUKI » Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:09 pm

I haven't myself but several rebuild kits when I first started always had multiple crankcase gaskets saying this was the reason for them.
SUKI
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby bgsengine » Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:12 pm

I'd have first checked the flywheel end of crank (before even installing it) for possible shims "welded" (via friction , etc) on both flywheel and PTO ends , and of course inspecting block for any bushings sticking out (and/or wear) Also, did you make sure there was no ridge worn into flywheel side of crankcase where crank would run on? non-original (to the block) cranks can have variations that don't match up with wear patterns in the bearing surfaces.. Other than that, I have had to add a shim gasket to a couple before. I have also gone to the extreme of using a big flat mill file to file down the cover bearing surface (it actually sat a little proud of the cover gasket surface) on a brand new side cover (it was actually a factory defect, should have warrantied it, but we needed that engine done and out the door that day, couldn't wait around a week for a new side cover) ended up being end play was a little "tight" on the lower end of spec, but boss said "good enough" and told me to button 'er up and ship 'er.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby creia » Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:54 pm

The crank I installed came out of another (donor) engine. I inspected the crank pretty closely and did not see any "shims". I did not look that closely for any wear on the inside face of the crankcase on the mag/flywheel side. Thank you for your replies. :)
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum