• Advertisement

Briggs 31 series question???????????

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Briggs 31 series question???????????

Postby Arkie » Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:41 pm

Single cyc Briggs Intek OHV
Model 310777 0305 E1 031125ZE

The above might be 31Q777 but believed to be a 0

This engine was given to me for parts and all the external plastic cowling is missing. Has carb attached and manifold.

Question. About 1/2 way up on the oil filler tube is a plastic piece (smooth (no ridges to hold a hose firmly) plastic barb about 1 inch long) and appears a hose was connected at one time. (hose was about 3/16 to 1/4 inch ID maybe.
What is the purpose intent of this connection?

All my other 31 and 33 series Briggs OHV Intek doe not have this external fitting on the oil filler tube.

I tried looking at 31 series IPL's and do not see any with such a fitting?????????????
Arkie
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Briggs 31 series question???????????

Postby bgsengine » Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:13 pm

If it is what I think you mean - sort of a open slot shape when together with side of tube, that's often found on some engines used as a wire clip to hold wires in place. (the barbed part of the fitting runs parallel to the tube?) Other than that all I can think of is it might be an evap emissions vacuum hose but that don't jibe with the 2003 model year.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:22 pm

Fuel pump impulse port.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:37 pm

KE4AVB wrote:Image

Fuel pump impulse port.

Could be.

No pulse pump was mounted on the engine. (but the plastic cowling not with the engine. I know the guy that is doing the engine change out due to this bad motor and I'll ask if it's a gravity fed lawn tractor fuel system or not.

But

I was working on a good running Briggs twin Intek engine awhile back with the stand alone Briggs pulse operated fuel pump mounted on the side 0f the engine. I had drove the lawn tractor into the shop, removed the engine and replaced the sump gasket and pto seal re-installed and the engine would not start and run unless I keep priming the carb intake.
The pulse hose the the fuel pump got full of oil when I had the engine laying on it's side and the Briggs pulse pump would not pump until I cleaned the crankcase oil out the pulse hose.

It appears that this oil filler tube hose connection would be subjected to getting full of engine oil and the fuel pump not get the impulses similar to what I described above????????
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:48 pm

Yep, that picture is it.

I see it's listed for use with a 31Q engine.

Thanks
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby Gerry » Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:17 pm

I have seen 3 of those and all were on the John Deere mowers.
Gerry
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:58 pm

I got a 331877 off a Cub Cadet that has the same fuel system and never a problem with oil up the vacuum line when it blew a head gasket. It my personal Yard Machines 42 Cut mower.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:59 pm

our church has a deere dropped off. the fuel pump pulse came from that dipstick nipple. I put the engine on a gravity feed and just plugged the end of the hose that was on the fuel pump. pretty sure that's the setup on my daughter's deere .
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:32 am

That would also be a user friendly port to check the crankcase for pressure/vacuum test.

This engine was given to me as severe oil burner and someone just kept on running the engine and when I pulled the head it had been run so much that the block was almost starting to burn a groove from the cylinder into the oil galley. I needed the camshaft for a low hours 33 series.
Engine was really nasty on the outside due to neglect. Cooling fins also clogged
Ran hard and put away wet, mostly neglected due to a leaking head gasket. :(
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:31 am

I see that camshaft is back in stock at repair clinic. Still going to check if cheaper if I order in UK and ship to son's sisterinlaw and he reships to me when he visits at xmas
Update: lol UK now out of stock or maybe not. went to wrong site . might have 1.
Last edited by 38racing on Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
38racing
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum