• Advertisement

Briggs 31 series question???????????

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Briggs 31 series question???????????

Postby Arkie » Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:08 pm

38racing wrote:I see that camshaft is back in stock at repair clinic. Still going to check if cheaper if I order in UK and ship to son's sisterinlaw and he reships to me when he visits at xmas
Update: lol UK now out of stock

I had little bit of luck on this one.
I had it in moth balls waiting for a cam. I took a donor engine apart awhile back and it's cam shelled out and took out a rod so no good parts.
This donor engine cam looks good and also the block looks good.

I'm hoping that I can find all the small cam parts inside the running engine with the bad cam without too much problems.

I constantly see the clone cams for around $40 and every once in awhile a rusty used one for less than $20 and also see what is suppose to be Genuine Briggs cams with lifters for around $100 on fleece bay.
If Murphy's law don't strike it I may have a donor winner with the donor. (and a good spare donor block)
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:05 pm

If your luck is like mine I would stay away from the clone camshafts. I ordered 4 and all 4 have already failed.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:24 pm

KE4AVB wrote:If your luck is like mine I would stay away from the clone camshafts. I ordered 4 and all 4 have already failed.

What would be a heads up difference when visually looking at a NEW or used Clone Cam vs a Briggs OEM cam?
(is the Briggs EOM stamped with any numbers or ????)

I was lucky that pieces of the broken ACR did not get into gears. I found the 1/2 pin broke right where it leaves the pin through the gear. Could see that the casting was bad, grainy, not solid cast
I dropped the sump with the engine hanging vertical on a hoist like when it was on the mower tractor and the smaller parts were in the sump. The large slinger part of the ACR was hung/riding in the counterbalance.

Engine now running good with the donor cam. I had two NEW PTO seals and I noticed one did not even have the spring inside the seal's lips. :o :( Probably China made?????

Heck Ronnie Milsap can see that them cams are made wimpy. Briggs should be ashamed of themselves. ;)
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:35 am

Yes Briggs should be ashamed.

But can you tell between the clone and the OEM camshaft in the following images? same 579 on the gear and the letter "J" on the ACR.

Hint the left one is the clone. It just clone is made even poorer quality materials. Notice it is already rusting.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum