• Advertisement

Kohler won't shut down

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Kohler won't shut down

Postby lefty » Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:41 pm

PH-X675-2034-431960618

When you release the handle, the brake engages but the mower doesn't die. It just smokes the brake. I've never seen this type of kill mechanism. I'm guessing it grounds through the brake? I have continuity from the kill wire to the studs holding the brake. I have continuity to portions of the brake pad but significant resistance on other portions. I'm wondering if the brake pad is just worn out. Or I'm completely off on how this operates.

Thanks
lefty
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Kohler won't shut down

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:48 pm

Yes they ground coil through the brake pad so try replacing it.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:08 pm

Thank you. I thought so.

Some new information. As we speak, I'm in the garage probing. I just happen to have gotten the same machine in here and started probing around on it. I have some discrepancies. The problem machine has no continuity between the flywheel and ground, except for the magnet portion of the flywheel. The other machine has continuity between the entire flywheel and ground. In fact, I don't have continuity between two points on the flywheel for the problem machine except when I put both probes on the magnet.

I took the flywheel nut and plastic cover off and it is pretty rusted. Could it have rusted completely between the wheel and the crank? It seems almost impossible. I'm about to pull the wheel.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NPVQh4jEsbDpozw56
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:01 am

Lefty, Like you I kinda doubt it that rusted but stranger things have happen here over the years. I only seen about three of those and two of them are sitting in my junk pile because worn out cylinders.

I think are throw away engines that Kohler dumped on the market.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:20 pm

I removed the flywheel. The edge was pretty pocked and corroded. I removed the rust on the wire wheel and was able to get it to work. It should probably get a new flywheel and a new brake assembly. This is what happens when you leave it out the rain all the time.

Thanks.
lefty
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum