• Advertisement

Generator Not Making Power

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Generator Not Making Power

Postby lefty » Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:53 pm

I have a Homelite Generator powered by Subaru Engine. Having trouble locating model for the machine but the engine is EX210D522517555 - 2380822. I'll keep digging for a model number. It has 3500 Running watts.

I'm getting 1.6 AC volts out of the receptacle. I tried flashing it by following some instructions I found on the internet. Using a drill. But it didn't change much. I'm wondering what to do next. I was told that the generator sat for a couple of years. The engine runs good and I set it to the proper RPM's. It came in running at about 4400. I don't have a lot of experience with the electrical side of a generator. It's a friend's machine. I told him I'd look at as a favor to see if it was anything simple. I was hoping for an on-switch he missed or maybe a breaker.

Thank you.
lefty
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Generator Not Making Power

Postby lefty » Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:34 pm

I think I found a model number: HG3500A
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:37 pm

Lefty you have a brush-less alternator setup. Go to the Briggs downloads and download the two Generator service manuals. These files start with 22_ and 23_. These should help. Look for the section for re-magnetizing brush-less generator alternators and it will how to make up the correct re-magnetizing patch cord that you plug into a 120 vac wall socket and the generator. you will a couple incandescent 120 vac light bulbs of the same wattage. This provided that this is the problem but the manuals do include troubleshooting guides.

You can not use a drill or 12 vdc battery to do this.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:44 pm

Thank you. I'll check out the download section and report back.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:50 am

If the re-magnetizing does not make it gen.
If re-exciting and/or replacement of the cap does not make it come alive will be time to get into the service manual and get deep electrically usually.

Brushless gen's use a excitation capacitor. You can review on you tube.
Here is an example link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3PnSMMBK6g

Just be sure the value in MFD and voltage is same as the OEM. Value is critical for correct voltage output. Also if not a OEM replacement be sure the physical size will fit into the holder.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:50 am

If the re-magnetizing does not make it gen.
If re-exciting and/or replacement of the cap does not make it come alive will be time to get into the service manual and get deep electrically into the unit, usually.

Brushless gen's use a excitation capacitor. You can review on you tube.
Here is an example link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3PnSMMBK6g

Just be sure the value in MFD and voltage is same as the OEM. Value is critical for correct voltage output. Also if not a OEM replacement cap be sure the physical size will fit into the holder.

Lots of info on-line about that model number not genning.

Honda's are good gen's (I was thinking Honda instead of Homelite but above tips still apply) normally but some of the electrical parts are very expensive, for example the voltage regulator. As a electronic tech and registered electrician I've found good used replacement parts (such as voltage regulators) on fleece bay with CAREFUL SHOPPING and looking for free returns. Honda will not refund for electronic and electrical parts of a gen once they have been SOLD and sometimes you have to pay for the part BEFORE the dealer will even order the part so keep your money in your pocket.
Last edited by Arkie on Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:33 pm

Thank you.
lefty
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum