• Advertisement

Yes, I really hate internal engine work.

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Yes, I really hate internal engine work.

Postby hanz63 » Mon May 15, 2023 6:38 pm

So maybe someone here has a clue what I did wrong. A few weeks back I had a 21B807 2453-B2 with no power as the customer concern. 2009 vintage. Little old man , little old MTD rider. Valve action was quite poor, badly worn cam lobe. Would have rather put a new engine , but PD didn't have one. So with two cams on the shelf, in it went and out the door she did go. Cleaned her up inside of all the grey matter, made sure valves in the head worked nicely.

Cut to today, gentleman called and said it sounded like the crankshaft fell out of her. ~4 hours or so I'd say on the engine. Felt like a rod cap came loose. But what I found was the rod had broken at the wrist pin. One side of the pin had lots of wear. Loose in the piston. When you have lots of grey matter in an engine, do you guys go further? I assumed that I'd blast everything I could out of the inside and a new cam she'd be good to go. Nope.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Yes, I really hate internal engine work.

Postby KE4AVB » Mon May 15, 2023 6:57 pm

Too me grey/gray stuff usually mean excessive wear as that is usually aluminum. So yes I would gone a little deeper on that one. Wrist pin wear is usual for me to see but anything is possible with old engines.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon May 15, 2023 7:01 pm

And please will somebody just shoot Murphy or at least send him Putin's way. I just can't caught him here to do it. In the week I had a transmission in personal PU to fail, Customer lost most the drive belt parts on a Z950, and today a customer was just mowing the his ditch and the Dixie Chopper started smoking like a freight train.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Mon May 15, 2023 9:04 pm

He "lost" either way. Was he playing around with things he shouldn't have?
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Tue May 16, 2023 9:17 am

KE4AVB wrote:And please will somebody just shoot Murphy or at least send him Putin's way. I just can't caught him here to do it. In the week I had a transmission in personal PU to fail, Customer lost most the drive belt parts on a Z950, and today a customer was just mowing the his ditch and the Dixie Chopper started smoking like a freight train.

Been here too. Friend wanted work done including leveling deck. Way out side to side but also front to back according to my gauge. Mtd with that front nut. Using up all the thread got me to 1/2 inch. Side to side I had to replace the toothed thing as teeth were missing. Changed the valve cover on the kohler and sent it back. Following up he tells me blades barely turn in highest level and won't turn at all at lowest level. Said it was fine last fall. Have it back now. Belt loose at level high, real loose at low. I figure it's because of my leveling. Rechecking I noticed that the blade I measured on may be bent. Going to try with new blade but also going to use a level on left sideof dec for front to back. I expect side to side may be wrong as I found his left blade is on upside down and I leveled based on blade tips.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Tue May 16, 2023 11:42 am

38racing wrote:
KE4AVB wrote:And please will somebody just shoot Murphy or at least send him Putin's way. I just can't caught him here to do it. In the week I had a transmission in personal PU to fail, Customer lost most the drive belt parts on a Z950, and today a customer was just mowing the his ditch and the Dixie Chopper started smoking like a freight train.

Been here too. Friend wanted work done including leveling deck. Way out side to side but also front to back according to my gauge. Mtd with that front nut. Using up all the thread got me to 1/2 inch. Side to side I had to replace the toothed thing as teeth were missing. Changed the valve cover on the kohler and sent it back. Following up he tells me blades barely turn in highest level and won't turn at all at lowest level. Said it was fine last fall. Have it back now. Belt loose at level high, real loose at low. I figure it's because of my leveling. Rechecking I noticed that the blade I measured on may be bent. Going to try with new blade but also going to use a level on left sideof dec for front to back. I expect side to side may be wrong as I found his left blade is on upside down and I leveled based on blade tips.

You may also need to replace the drag bar links (deck mounting bars at rear) and/or change or re-locate the deck mounting holes - they are notorious for wearing oblong and even that little bit of wear on the mounting holes and the pins, etc all add up to throw the deck adjustment (and belt tension) out of whack. I have had some where I pretty much replaced everything but the tractor frame just to get it to sit right - and even that only lasted another 2 years - customer had insisted on having it fixed, regardless of cost (which was nearly half the cost of a new tractor).
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Tue May 16, 2023 3:49 pm

38racing wrote:Been here too. Friend wanted work done including leveling deck. Way out side to side but also front to back according to my gauge. Mtd with that front nut. Using up all the thread got me to 1/2 inch. Side to side I had to replace the toothed thing as teeth were missing. Changed the valve cover on the kohler and sent it back. Following up he tells me blades barely turn in highest level and won't turn at all at lowest level. Said it was fine last fall. Have it back now. Belt loose at level high, real loose at low. I figure it's because of my leveling. Rechecking I noticed that the blade I measured on may be bent. Going to try with new blade but also going to use a level on left side of deck for front to back. I expect side to side may be wrong as I found his left blade is on upside down and I leveled based on blade tips.

Question is this a 46" cut deck. IF so post the model I might have a fix but got to see which deck it has.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Tue May 16, 2023 7:38 pm

KE4AVB wrote:
38racing wrote:Been here too. Friend wanted work done including leveling deck. Way out side to side but also front to back according to my gauge. Mtd with that front nut. Using up all the thread got me to 1/2 inch. Side to side I had to replace the toothed thing as teeth were missing. Changed the valve cover on the kohler and sent it back. Following up he tells me blades barely turn in highest level and won't turn at all at lowest level. Said it was fine last fall. Have it back now. Belt loose at level high, real loose at low. I figure it's because of my leveling. Rechecking I noticed that the blade I measured on may be bent. Going to try with new blade but also going to use a level on left side of deck for front to back. I expect side to side may be wrong as I found his left blade is on upside down and I leveled based on blade tips.

Question is this a 46" cut deck. IF so post the model I might have a fix but got to see which deck it has.

sorry. 42 inch deck on 13ax606g590 Didn't make it to workshop today. Temperature dropped and stayed in house when I got home
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Wed May 17, 2023 8:36 am

Boy haven't seen that style in a while. One thing to is the engagement idler arm's pivot point. They tend to oval out causing loose belt problems.

My system is showing the deck belt to be 109-1/4" so 109" will work. Might even drop it to 108" because of all the wear points.

The reason I ask if it is the 46" deck as here a particular version is should to have 103" on it but after some age they require a 102" belt. The deck acts just you describe where it only engage to turn the blades off load.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Wed May 17, 2023 9:27 pm

I sort of hijacked this thread so I'm going to update status with new topic
38racing
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum