• Advertisement

Metal clad BS plug caps

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Metal clad BS plug caps

Postby wristpin » Thu Jul 18, 2024 12:41 pm

Vague recollection of issues with the metal clad plug connectors supplied with new coil / ht lead assemblies. Was there / is there an issue with those and should one just ditch the metal clad one and replace with standard plastic item ?
wristpin
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Metal clad BS plug caps

Postby bgsengine » Thu Jul 18, 2024 3:59 pm

I always assumed they were for applications where RF interference was a problem, I pretty much never used them if I had the option to put a regular rubber plug boot on. They often did end up having trouble when the machines were neglected , abused, or careless removal of plug cap - often they'd short out the spark when the plug started to get fouled up and offer higher resistance. Worse when they got exposed to water/rain, etc
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Re: Metal clad BS plug caps

Postby wristpin » Fri Jul 19, 2024 7:57 am

Thanks for that reply , I’ll swap out the cap to remove one possible source of an intermittent fault. A cheaper option than a new coil, although I have my suspicions having had issues with this pattern of coil a while ago when one appeared to check out jumping a 1/4” gap on the bench but then played up in use. It’s an October 2011 engine ,so the next stop will be a coil.
Thanks again.
wristpin
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum