• Advertisement

Jerk of a customer

This is the forum for talking about everything else not related to small engines or outdoor power equipment. - It's the "Coffee Shop" of the PPTEN. Please refrain from discussing Politics or Religion.

Jerk of a customer

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Aug 10, 2024 6:51 pm

As long as I have doing these repairs I never had a customer to do me like one just did me.

I repaired a Honda ATV and the bill was just over $1400. The customer paid by check. Friday I get the check back. The Darn customer did a stop payment on it apparently as soon as he could. Damn lawyer at that, Never called about having a problem with the equipment just the stop payment. Now I got to go to small claims court to try to get my money. I never going the accept a check from another lawyer.

All he had to do if there was a problem with the ATV was to call me and I would gladly corrected the problem but he had to be an A hole about it.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Jerk of a customer

Postby RoyM » Sat Aug 10, 2024 8:15 pm

I remember a customer like him, the boss had a bad feeling about the guy and sent me to the bank to deposit the cheque. I was leaving and met him coming in. I haven't seen a cheque in years, most people use credit cards or for large bills a bank draught. Yours is a small business, you really need to protect yourself from guys like that.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Aug 11, 2024 7:18 am

I rarely have problem with checks. I even have done several jobs for the this same customer. But this has made me think twice about accepting checks from now on except from from my trusted customers.

I reckon this one is headed to small claims. I go down probably Wednesday to file a case against him.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sun Aug 11, 2024 3:11 pm

KE4AVB wrote:I rarely have problem with checks. I even have done several jobs for the this same customer. But this has made me think twice about accepting checks from now on except from from my trusted customers.

I reckon this one is headed to small claims. I go down probably Wednesday to file a case against him.

I'd think you also have a criminal case - might want to contact state police or someone - Quick google search brought up this tidbit:
Tennessee Worthless Checks Laws
Considered a theft charge, worthless checks charge can happen in a few different ways. You may be charged with this offense if you:

Write a check knowing there is not sufficient funds or that there will not be sufficient funds when the check goes through the bank; or
Stop payment on a check after goods or services were received that require payment.

I'd wonder if State bar association might take a look at the guy if he got hit with criminal charges, too.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Aug 11, 2024 3:39 pm

Thanks for the info Brian.

I will call into the locals Monday to see which department I need to contact to follow thru.

And I do consider it out right thief myself. Of the before amount of 1325.70, 260.00 was for labor and the rest (1065.70) was parts. And 125.94 is sales taxes for a total of 1451.64. This is about a 1/4 of this year's net income.

So glad I didn't do the Bobcat skid loader which needs an engine overhaul. I really would gotten burned.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Aug 12, 2024 9:22 am

Well I found the statue. 39-14-121 year 2021. The customer has committed a Class D Felony with possible jail time of 2-12 years and up to $5000 fine if convicted. State of Tennessee Highway Patrol has been contacted awaiting a resonance on how to proceed.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Mon Aug 12, 2024 5:31 pm

KE4AVB wrote:Well I found the statue. 39-14-121 year 2021. The customer has committed a Class D Felony with possible jail time of 2-12 years and up to $5000 fine if convicted. State of Tennessee Highway Patrol has been contacted awaiting a resonance on how to proceed.

Excellent. If he is a smart lawyer, he'll probably just make good on the check and have charges dropped. Here's hoping he's stupid and loses his law license in the process...
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby hanz63 » Tue Aug 13, 2024 7:23 pm

Bugger. That's pretty low.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Aug 14, 2024 6:21 am

Stage one, Got to have a little more on him. I have to send a certified demand for payment letter with signature required. Then I can going to court house for further instructions but it look my state law is toothless; unless, they are the victim. But I will get very pushy on this and demand them to something about it since this is a felony case.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Thu Aug 22, 2024 7:51 am

Hope your policing is better than ours. Local gas bar has no pay driveaways. Cameras get license plate but police won't go after them.
38racing
Forum Pro

Next

Return to The Break Room AKA General Discussion