• Advertisement

Kohler high tension lead

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Kohler high tension lead

Postby 38racing » Tue Aug 13, 2024 9:10 pm

Kohler coil 2058403S on courage single. Creature consumed it. Can it be pulled from coil and replaced? My supplier offering oem but still $80 cdn. List is $105 cdn
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Kohler high tension lead

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Aug 14, 2024 6:46 am

Yes they can be removed and replaced. But it take a very slim sharp point knife to all the old lead out as they are glued in. Here I use a filet knife. Its been a year since my last lead replacement on Kohler coil but if I remember correctly it is just a straight pin at the bottom that pierces the lead center core. Now you must glue the new lead back in. I applied an epoxy and then push the lead in all the way. This makes a water tight seal. Just did a Briggs coil a couple week ago. Darn mouse didn't leave anything other the metal core.

Note some high tension leads have carbon fiber core but the metal core works just as well.

And boy are they proud of the coil up there. Down here they are $21 from my distributor.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Wed Aug 14, 2024 7:00 am

Is $21 oem or aftermarket? I can get aftermarket from Amazon for $30 cdn.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Aug 14, 2024 7:16 am

38racing wrote:Is $21 oem or aftermarket? I can get aftermarket from Amazon for $30 cdn.

OEM so I see no point buying aftermarket.

Image from my distributor order screen
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Thu Aug 15, 2024 7:52 am

On inspection core seems ok. With cover off and clear of head it runs fine. I remove boot and shrink tubed and taped it. Hopefully that will be enough. Interesting is that it appears to have been a bird. Not a typical mouse nest , had several long downey feathers , about 3 inches of quill.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Aug 15, 2024 11:36 am

Mice will use what a available to make their beds.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum