• Advertisement

Kawasaki running on 1 cylinder

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Kawasaki running on 1 cylinder

Postby lefty » Sun Aug 18, 2024 12:46 pm

FS541V-BS14-R
FS541VA26407

I have this engine on a John Deere X300. It appears to only be firing on one cylinder. The one closets to the flywheel is running but the other is not. Exhaust heats up to about 100f while the working one heats to 350-400. I have spark from both coils and the plugs are good. When I disconnect the suspected bad side plug wire nothing happens but if I go the other way the machine about stalls out.

Compression on both cylinders match at about 120psi. I was suspecting maybe fuel but it's a single barrel carb. I'm wondering if I should be pulling the valve cover or going right at the carb. Any guidance is appreciated. I've attached a pic of the plugs that I pulled from the machine. I've since replaced them with no improvement.

Thank you.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/77ZB9cmnLdzXrR7g9
lefty
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Kawasaki running on 1 cylinder

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Aug 18, 2024 1:42 pm

I suspect the coil is bad...I had Kawasaki twin last year that was running on only one cylinder. The coil was firing just enough the burn the new off the new plug electrode ti yet the engine would not run on that cylinder alone. Replaced the coil and things was fine afterwards.

The neon spark testers showed spark but the Oregon tester showed no spark. Just took a gamble and replaced the after market coil with an OEM coil which fixed the problem. PN 21171-0743

This was on a JD 652R which is a royal pain to the access the rockers which I did thinking maybe a push rod fall off. The muffler has to be removed to get the rocker covers off.

BTW YOU can drop the -R which just designate the engine was part of a rack of four engines.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sun Aug 18, 2024 4:07 pm

Thank you.

I went out and threw my other spark tester on it and tried to get it to jump a bigger gap. There is a significant difference between the good side's and bad side's ability to jump the same size gap. That side definitely seems weak.

I was looking for the parts diagram for this engine to take a look at a coil but haven't found the exact match for my engine. It skips BS14 and 15.

I'd like to assume that they're using the same coil but I don't like to assume. Do you know if I can use the one off of the BS13 or BS16?

Thanks.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Aug 18, 2024 4:26 pm

The ipl of all three engines shows the same 21171-0743 magnetos.

And Lefty check your PMs as I will send you a link to where find these JD Kawasaki engines IPLs. Just the view button to pass the initial screen. It will save you quite a bit ordering Kawasaki parts instead the JD ones.

Just don't want make the site public here.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sun Aug 18, 2024 4:38 pm

Thank you.

I've seen some videos on the internet of people testing coils for resistance with a meter. I've also seen people saying that doesn't really tell you anything. What's the truth? Can you test a coil with a meter?

Thanks.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Aug 18, 2024 4:55 pm

Without a very expensive coil tester you can't test the new electronic internally triggered coils. I even destroyed Briggs coil just to see what was inside. The way they the kill terminal connected it bypasses the electronics and connect directly to the primary windings of the transformer. It same end the electronic switching circuit is attached.

Basically for us field guys it is plug and play testing. Either they work or they don't.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Mon Aug 19, 2024 7:00 pm

I have some new info on this one.

I swapped the coils and am getting the same results. The same cylinder seems to not be firing. I'm thinking about removing the valve cover to see what's doing in there. Am I on the right track?
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Tue Aug 20, 2024 6:54 pm

I'm stumped. Leak down good on that cylinder. Compression good. Swapping coils did nothing. Pulled valve cover and everything looks normal. Clearance within spec. Spark plugs good. I'm obviously missing something but I can't figure it out.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Aug 20, 2024 7:29 pm

Don't feel bad Lefty I got a Briggs 33R here that I have figured out either. Surging like mad but everything I have checked or changed haven't resolve the problem yet. O even pull it apart again yesterday to double check the governor assy.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Tue Aug 20, 2024 11:09 pm

Get close and personal with the gasket @ intake manifold / cylinder head. You may discover a piece gone.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum