• Advertisement

Possible short block ?

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Possible short block ?

Postby Gerry » Mon Aug 19, 2024 10:35 am

Customer has a blowed up Briggs 31P677 0144-B3 100427 ZA on a John D LA115. He has a donor engine 33R877 0002-G1 140814 ZD, he wants to use. First visual differences are the OEM has a fuel pump and different electrical system. I checked and the crank is the right length and the OEM flywheel will bolt down on the donor. My question is if I strip the OEM and put on donor will the donor work as a short block? I usually stay away from Frankenstein stuff but may try this. Thoughts please.

As always Thanks In Advance.
Gerry
Guide

Advertisement

Re: Possible short block ?

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Aug 19, 2024 11:49 am

Better double check the flywheel and crankshaft as they change the keyway in 2012. One engine is a 2010 and the other is 2014 engine. And the two set are not compatible with each other.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Aug 19, 2024 3:08 pm

The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Gerry » Thu Aug 22, 2024 2:35 pm

Thanks, I put the OEM stator, flywheel and carb assy on the donor. Had spark but no start, when cranking sounded like a out of time starting...ie tad spitting and attempt to backfire. Put donor flywheel on starts right up, charging and will carry the load with PTO engaged.
Gerry
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Aug 23, 2024 6:40 am

Gerry wrote:Thanks, I put the OEM stator, flywheel and carb assy on the donor. Had spark but no start, when cranking sounded like a out of time starting...ie tad spitting and attempt to backfire. Put donor flywheel on starts right up, charging and will carry the load with PTO engaged.

Ahh, I see that Briggs must have also changed the keyway position thus changing the ignition timing. So I need to add a note to my copy of their service bulletin.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum