• Advertisement

Honda Parts

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Honda Parts

Postby lefty » Sat Aug 31, 2024 6:48 pm

I have this machine

HRX2174VKA
MAGA-2303740

GJAAA-2936293 MX1

I always struggle with this. I can't find the exact machine model for Honda on the sites. I have a couple of sites for the machine and some for the engine. For some reason, my serial number is always not recognized on the engine. Sometimes I can find the exact machine but not always. What am I missing? Thanks.
lefty
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Honda Parts

Postby bgsengine » Sat Aug 31, 2024 7:00 pm

Engine parts for Honda machines are found under that machine's serial number - So they won't recognize engine serial. You need machine serial to get machine lookups, which should also have engine lookups.

Some lookups, you can find machine by matching up serial number , no need for exact model (Sometimes model number is just marketing info, and won't come up in parts lookups, Serial numbers though should be in that range every time - Try entering just the first portions of serial and turn the last 4 or 5 or 6 into zeroes or nines if you need a full set of digits, which often ends a serial number break. )
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby lefty » Sat Aug 31, 2024 7:07 pm

Yes but I can never find the exact match.

For instance, my model is HRX2174VKA. I can find a similar match, HRX217K4 VKA
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sat Aug 31, 2024 9:06 pm

Sure you're reading the label right? HR217 seems to be the base model, rest of it options codes? I'm no Honda expert though, have had a grand total of one Honda lawn mower (pushmower with bent crankshaft that ended up getting junked by the owner) through my shop (or even where I worked full time) in 35-odd years and haven't worked on them at all in over 10 years... So what do I know? :) Maybe 2 pressure washers, a water pump, and other than that all my Honda work has been engines on non-honda equipment
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby lefty » Sat Aug 31, 2024 9:15 pm

I'm slightly dyslexic, self-diagnosed, and I've recently upgraded to +2 readers. So I've attached a photo to be sure.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iRSPbjZoaRMucZKp8
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sat Aug 31, 2024 9:34 pm

Yeah you're reading the model right, and no the 2 online honda places I looked up do not have the correct model- They also don't have that serial number range .. Asked CoPilot and it says
CoPilot wrote:The serial number range MAGA-2200001 to MAGA-2370000 for the Honda HRX2174 series includes models like the HRX2174HYA, HRX2174HZA, HRX2174VKA, and HRX2174VLA12.
Thing is, their source comes directly from Honda - You would need a dealer or someone with access to Honda portal to use Honda's parts lookup. Problem with most of the online lookups such as Jacks, etc - They all come from the same source- ARI - and ARI information is often out of date, incomplete, missing details, and sometimes just plain wrong. (Even on the dealer only portals)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Sep 01, 2024 7:06 am

Honda has been not very organized when come parts look ups. Sometimes the serial entry won't work so you have manual search thru a list of mowers and match up the serial number range. Especially with engines.

As with this model the serial number when entered comes up as the K4 revision. This just you have know to add the K to model number revision level. And sometime there is an extra "A" added for the American built units. Again something you just have to know about. And the engine is a GCV-190A but you wouldn't just find the engine with type code MX1.

But I do use https://peparts.honda.com/powerequipment#/browse for complete mowers look-up. And you can't just look-up the engine either as they consider part of the complete mower and Honda will not provide a separate engine IPL when it is on their equipment. I know it seems stupid but this is the way Honda does this. It does become a problem if someone has transplanted an engine from another model or revision level. This where I usually inscribe the replacement info the mower for the future tech to find parts. It also goes in my customer files locally.

Engine sold for use on other equipment are looked under engines. But have to search the engine code and forget using the serial number. Basically you look up the engine code then go down the page and use the type code.

Using a site like https://www.honda-engines-eu.com/en/spare-parts or https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda/small-engines where you search a list of various engines matching up the type code and serial numbers.

BTW most of my Honda parts comes from Boats.net which is a division of Partzilla. Not to be confused with Partstree.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sun Sep 01, 2024 8:54 am

Thank you very much.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Mon Sep 02, 2024 4:14 pm

I believe I found the proper machine but this is the stuff that confuses me.

Both of these serial ranges top out at 9999999.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QZqueb53NvjhtnaNA
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Mon Sep 02, 2024 5:04 pm

lefty wrote:I believe I found the proper machine but this is the stuff that confuses me.

Both of these serial ranges top out at 9999999.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QZqueb53NvjhtnaNA

what's confusing about it? Same as some might say "From serial number 1234567 & later" or "& up"
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum