• Advertisement

B&S Vanguard 40hp EFI

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: B&S Vanguard 40hp EFI

Postby madmantrapper » Fri Sep 06, 2024 6:47 am

Briggs factory guy came out and said it is the temp sensor, have one coming, will keep you folks updated. I am skeptical.
madmantrapper
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Sep 06, 2024 9:43 am

Intermittent problems are just that. Something to drive us crazy at times. I had a faulty temp sensor on my Honda once but it only caused problem when the engine was hot. Let it sit 30 minutes and the motor would startup. So flakey is was it didn't throw a code for two months hunting the problem.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby madmantrapper » Mon Sep 09, 2024 8:45 pm

Friday a guy from Scag was in on another issue and heard a couple guys talking about the issue with the vanguard. He said it is a faulty thermister, he stated he came across this issue twice in the last month. Changed it out and it is working fine. Don't know why there were no codes.
madmantrapper
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Sep 10, 2024 7:27 am

Hopefully that cures that problem but I would keep an eye on the engine for a while (IE check in with the customer a few times). I make a note here for myself about the way it acted here.

I nearly completed the re-assembly of a Kawasaki Brute Force 750i ATV. I had the rework the front differential due worn out spider gears. I went t crank it up Monday it didn't want to start up and final tries and shut down. Fuel injected engine.
Troubleshooting lead to no spark condition. Crank passed ohms and is giving impulses so it only can be the igniter box. Dang it cost over $500. Customer acts like it is my fault for it failing as he brought ATV in running. I can't where doing mechanical repairs completely unrelated to the engine could cause this. He getting bill for the ignitor and he has lump it.

I have heard the Brute Force series are a POS line up and that they are always having flaky problems.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum