• Advertisement

Cipper Shredder Compression

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Cipper Shredder Compression

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:47 am

plpitts1 wrote:KE4AVB – Do you know the correct torque for the flywheel clutch starter, or better yet where I might get this info in the future? I tried searching B&S website but came up with nothing. And I’m guessing I need a special tool (other than torque wrench) to do this with.
Thanks,
Pat
PS - yes, this is an admission that I did not follow your advice completely. My bad.

It is there just takes entering the correct search terms. This chart covers many of the Briggs engines basic torques but doesn't cover the newer Chinese build engines. The service manual usually cover the rest of torques.

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/us/en/~/media/Frequently%20Asked%20Questions/Engine/PDFs/Engine%20Specifications%20Chart_ms3992.pdf

As Bgs says your will need the starter tool so you can torque the this starter clutch. It is easier to remove these with this tool than using a hammer and punch.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby plpitts1 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:23 pm

Hello, thanks for the links, I found the torque specs I was looking for, and a local shop has the correct tool.
Thanks,
Pat
"Well, if they pay me off in tortillas, I'm gonna shoot 'em right in the eye"
plpitts1
Forum Regular

Postby plpitts1 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:35 pm

Keep shearing the key. Have torqued to spec. (65 FT Lbs) with the correct tool. We start it up, it runs 10 seconds and it shears the pin. Not sure what’s up with that. There is supposed to be a special washer between the flywheel and the starter clutch. The one on their looks like an ordinary washer. Going to pick up a new one. Not sure how that’s going to help.
Pat
plpitts1
Forum Regular

Postby bgsengine » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:21 pm

plpitts1 wrote:Keep shearing the key. Have torqued to spec. (65 FT Lbs) with the correct tool. We start it up, it runs 10 seconds and it shears the pin. Not sure what’s up with that. There is supposed to be a special washer between the flywheel and the starter clutch. The one on their looks like an ordinary washer. Going to pick up a new one. Not sure how that’s going to help.
Pat

That special washer is known as a "Belleville" washer - they are cup-shaped / dish shaped washers that the convex (rounded face) side faces out away from the load so the "rim" of the "dish" spreads the load evenly over a wider area. a regular flat washer without that shape is not going to apply sufficient force to the flywheel under the same torque as the belleville washer will. (Side note: washers like that can be paired up with dished sides facing each other to form a spring of sorts often used in some MTD friction adjustments)

Also make sure the flywheel and crankshaft are perfectly clean and no nicks or damage, grease,oil or dirt on the shaft taper, the flywheel, keyways or the shaft or the mating surface of the flywheel - must be completely clean and dry before assembly.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby plpitts1 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:27 pm

Hello, to wrap this up: Apparently I have been working on the wrong end of the problem. After shearing another key, even after having the correct washer (Belleville) and torque, I tore down the chipper end of the crankshaft. Turns out that the shaft is split in half, and the key is sheared. Looks like it’s been that way for a while. Because it was direct drive I could not tell that the chipper end was having a problem. Also all the bolts hold the shredder blades on are bent. I think its toast. Thanks for all your input, I have learned a little more.
Thanks,
Pat
plpitts1
Forum Regular

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum