• Advertisement

Fuel Vent on Stihl Leaf blower

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Fuel Vent on Stihl Leaf blower

Postby BeeZee » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:40 pm

Stihl BG85C Leaf blower

A little background.

I replaced the primer bulb this past January (had a hole the size of a pencil eraser but gave me no problems) and while everything was torn apart, i decided to clean everything before I put it back together. In cleaning this machine, I think that I covered up the some of the holes in the tank vent. During this summer's use, there were times when the machine did not come up to full throttle so I opened the filler cap and it picked up speed. Then there were times when the machine ran great, like today.

So my question is, is there a vent on top of the gas tank instead of a cap vent?

Can you use compressed air from the filler cap to blow out any obstruction in the tank vent?

Can this vent be taken off of the gas tank and be replaced?

Bernie
BeeZee

Advertisement

Re: Fuel Vent on Stihl Leaf blower

Postby bobodu » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:32 pm

Send me an email and I'll send you the service manual...there is a vent. Please include the model number cause I ain't getting any younger..
Rats...I don't have that manual..I have the 86...find I found this thread elsewhere..
http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f258/stihl-sh-85c-loses-power-613868.html
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby bgsengine » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:41 pm

BeeZee wrote:Stihl BG85C Leaf blower

A little background.

I replaced the primer bulb this past January (had a hole the size of a pencil eraser but gave me no problems) and while everything was torn apart, i decided to clean everything before I put it back together. In cleaning this machine, I think that I covered up the some of the holes in the tank vent. During this summer's use, there were times when the machine did not come up to full throttle so I opened the filler cap and it picked up speed. Then there were times when the machine ran great, like today.

So my question is, is there a vent on top of the gas tank instead of a cap vent?
Yup. sits on top of the tank, about 5/8" diameter, black, to the left of and behind the gas cap, when gas cap side of blower is facing you. also has an o-ring (older version)or grommet (newer versions) as a separate service part.

Can you use compressed air from the filler cap to blow out any obstruction in the tank vent?
No - definitely not recommended. Tank vent will have a check valve, it will hold some pressure in tank, but should not prevent any air from coming in (I.E. should not be able to pull a vacuum)

Can this vent be taken off of the gas tank and be replaced?

Bernie

Yep- Can be removed and replaced . Depends on what version you have - P/N 0000-350-5800 is the one with o-ring, 4203-350-5801 is the version with grommet (Numbers may have changed - my info is rather outdated.)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby NevadaWalrus » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:22 pm

Can someone verify tank vent type? After 5 years of not being in the shop my brain has misfired. Of course Stihl has no online look up to reference but did find a look up provided by an on line sales store [possibly unreliable] and it shows a retro Stihl style tank vent. You know, just a tube out of the tank going no where but having the tiny headless screw inside.
NevadaWalrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby BeeZee » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:09 pm

Just got done looking at the blower and I have the vent with the o-ring (0000-350-5800)

Here are some pictures of the vents.

When that four letter word comes falling from the sky, I know I will have a project to do.

Would like to thank all of you for responding.

Bernie
BeeZee

Return to Technical Discussion Forum