• Advertisement

Just where does that 1/8" rod go?

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Just where does that 1/8" rod go?

Postby rogerf » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:15 pm

Hallo folks :D

I try to do things "by the book" and when checking the Briggs flat head manual for the governor adjustment with a pulsa prime carburetor and a pneumatic governor, it says to move the governor lever to the fast position and a hole in the lever will line up with a hole in the governor control bracket. Should be simple enough, but I just can't see which holes are supposed to line up :bricks: Are the holes really there? (Page 5 section 5 figs 5 & 6 of single cylinder L head manual)

Pretty much the same story with a 1200 series Briggs, this time page 24 section 5 of the same manual. "Place throttle in fast position and insert 1/8" rod through holes in carburetor control bracket and lever" But again I can't see them . :bricks:

Am I just not seeing the obvious or are they not present on some motors? And I went to a lot of trouble to find a piece of 1/8" steel rod - not easy in Australia some 30 odd years since we went metric, steel sizes, timber sizes, paper sizes etc all changed!

Looking forward to being put out of my misery/ frustration!
Roger
rogerf
Guide

Advertisement

Re: Just where does that 1/8" rod go?

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:41 pm

I think this should be what you are needing if it is OHV version. I haven't done this adjustment yet as I haven't had the need.

Red Arrow points to hole location in the trottle lever:

Red highlight show rod inserted in low speed hole. If you look to the left you will the high speed hole.

Red highlight show rod inserted in high speed hole.

For the L head adjustment look at Section 5 figure 5 item 3 is where the rod inserted. Sorry no picture got to decrpyt the PDF first.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby rogerf » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:15 am

Hallo KE4AVB,

Thanks for your helpful reply :D

The OVH Briggs have taken a very long time to percolate through to Australia, and they are only just beginning to arrive in quantity - so they haven't started falling over yet. Also we don't have much ethanol fuel here :D and that avoids a lot of trouble all of it's own.

My problem is with flathead single cylinder engines. I just can't see the hole indicated at figure 2 which is where the rod at item 2 is supposed to go. :bricks:

Any ideas how I can reveal that jolly hole?

Roger
rogerf
Guide

Postby bobodu » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:52 am

I guess I'm obligated to tell you that MODEL NUMBERS are important !!! You would probably have your answer by now if we had them.
Maybe this video will help...I'm not sure about an 1/8th inch rod...that seems pretty big.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzpSy5CJL6k
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby rogerf » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:50 am

Hallo bobudo,
Thanks for your reply. I had posted model numbers previously, but not in this post - my fault. Model numbers are
10A902 2143 B1 & 12F802 3112 B1.

I have no difficulty with cleaning either carburetor, both engines now work fine. I am trying to set the top available engine speed by adjusting the governor. Static governor adjustment has been checked and is OK on the 12F802 3112 B1. I'm not sure if the 10A902 2143 B1 has a static governor adjustment as such. It has a pneumatic governor.

The flathead manual refers to placing a 1/8" rod through holes with the speed lever set at maximum (presumably to lock the linkage at the maximum setting) and then adjusting the tang as described in my first post in this series. I just can't see which holes to fit the 1/8" rod in either case. It should be really easy, I've set the control to max speed, but I can't even see a pair of holes anywhere near lining up to put a 1/8" rod through in either engine. The relevant figures in the L head manual are fig 5 section 5, and fig 55 section 5, for the 10A902 & the 12F802 respectively.

Both are running a bit over speed. I will have no difficulty in reducing the governor setting to the correct top speed, but I just want to "do it by the book" if at all possible. Call me a tiresome old so and so but I just want to do it right and just can't see those blankity holes!

Cheers,
Roger
rogerf
Guide

Postby bgsengine » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:03 am

Hmm.. in all of my 30+ years.. I have never used that 1/8" rod while setting top no load RPM on one of those engines. Easy enough to hold the control in place while bending the tang with tang bender.. there *ARE* some relatively rare machines where it may be nearly impossible to hold the lever manually while bending tang, but other than that all I can recall of using those rods was during engine assembly, on generators, and some 5 , 8 HP Horizontals with "thumbnut" throttle control adjustment
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Buckshot 1 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:40 am

:) They do not have 1/8" drill bits or a numbered bit close to 1/8", there in Aussie land? :usa:
Don B, Ft. Wayne, IN., USAF 1962-1968
Buckshot 1
Forum Regular

Postby bgsengine » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:56 am

Buckshot 1 wrote::) They do not have 1/8" drill bits or a numbered bit close to 1/8", there in Aussie land? :usa:

yeah.. what do they use for them pop rivets to patch up holes in them old clunkers running around the outback? LOL :mrgreen: or maybe its just a redneck thing..
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:31 am

rogerf wrote:Thanks for your reply. I had posted model numbers previously, but not in this post - my fault. Model numbers are
10A902 2143 B1 & 12F802 3112 B1.

I have no difficulty with cleaning either carburetor, both engines now work fine. I am trying to set the top available engine speed by adjusting the governor. Static governor adjustment has been checked and is OK on the 12F802 3112 B1. I'm not sure if the 10A902 2143 B1 has a static governor adjustment as such. It has a pneumatic governor.

Sorry I missed where you said pneumatic governor

The instruction the pneumatic governor on the 10A900 series is in the Briggs single L-head repair manual Section 5 page 5 Pdf page 145. I don't anything about idle speed for this one with pneumatic governor. Maybe some else can chime in on this.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby rogerf » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:18 pm

Hallo folks :D
Thanks for all the replies :D :D .

I guess I'll just hold the control in the wide open position and use the tang bender :) I was just trying to follow the Briggs instructions! Maybe I need to remember that rules are for the guidance of the wise and to be exactly followed by fools ;)

I'm not worried about setting the low end speed with the pneumatic governor - the low speed is fine and I won't try to mess with it.

Yes we do have 1/8" drill bits here including the little double ended numbers for use when pop rivetting, but I find they are easy to hold in a drill chuck and just love to jump out of anywhere I might be tempted to put them without a drilling machine of some sort attached. I can imagine hours trying to find just where the little thing jumped to if I put one near a running engine :oops: That is if only I could see those holes :shock:

Thanks again for all your interest and practical replies.

Cheers,
Roger
rogerf
Guide

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum