• Advertisement

Replacement Connector

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Replacement Connector

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:39 am

Is the seat switch connector available separately of the wiring harness? The one I have has the shorting strip built-in.

I have ran into several these where the retaining latch is broken off and currently I am using plastic wire ties to hold them in place but I would prefer to just install new ones if available which would be more professional finish.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Replacement Connector

Postby bgsengine » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:05 pm

Depends on the manufacturer. They can be VERY hard to find. What I do is I gather equipment model numbers that have the same connector (may be AYP, May be MTD, etc.) and go through various parts lookups - Some have the part number for connector only, some do not, but if a part number can be found, they can be ordered and cross referenced. Most often if you can find an identical connector body, they have a slot in the body for the shorting tab (which can be fabricated or swapped over from old connector)

I can't think of one as yet that I have had to replace though - Most of the connectors I have had to replace were due to melted wiring, I have yet to see a seat switch connector with the lock tab broke off as usually the lock tab is on the switch itself.

Other way to "fix" that without cable ties, add a dab of RTV to the connector to "glue" it in and it can still be removed (and sometimes the RTV stays attached creating the friction needed to hole connector body in place)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:51 pm

I think I have found the connector housing; although, it won't have the shorting strip in it but it will be better then just trying glue it on.

As you see it is that upper tab that I am finding broken off. I will order one in for test purposes on my next stock order.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:29 pm

Got a part number? Those come in handy :)

Once you get it, might find that there is a space in the other end (hidden in the picture) where such a shorting strip can be installed. The only purpose to the strip is to prevent people from simply unhooking the seat switch to bypass the safety feature.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:20 pm

bgsengine wrote:Got a part number? Those come in handy :)

Once you get it, might find that there is a space in the other end (hidden in the picture) where such a shorting strip can be installed. The only purpose to the strip is to prevent people from simply unhooking the seat switch to bypass the safety feature.

It is an universal part so it could go either way on what can be done with it. I actually got a couple numbers from TEW. Oregon 33-086 and their in-house number of 55-1056.

Yep, the customer like to disconnect them safety switches. I get several electrical problems every year because didn't know what they were doing. :lol: Hand them the bill and they leave them alone from then on.

It is one of reason I try to always get an electrical diagram on any thing I work on; who knows what has been monkeyed with
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:52 pm

Finally got the connector housing in. They do have the slot for the shorting strip; of course, the old shorting strip would need to be transferred to work as the original did. I already converted the Craftsman connector over and got rid the wire tie; just got to be carefully as to not damage the locking catch.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum