• Advertisement

Echo PE225

This is the forum for talking about everything else not related to small engines or outdoor power equipment. - It's the "Coffee Shop" of the PPTEN. Please refrain from discussing Politics or Religion.

Echo PE225

Postby nolalefty » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:02 pm

Hello All, this is my first post. Equipment: Echo PE-225, Edger. S78712060654 mfg. Aug. 2010. Problem, Primes and Starts, and then I need to keep moving the choke up and down in order to keep it running. Kills instantly after accelerating. I replaced the fuel filter and the hoses and vent that came with a kit, no change. I then replaced the air filter and spark plug nothing helped. I purchased a carburetor kit and installed it and cleaned the carburetor. I check and made sure the gaskets diaphragms o-rings and throttle roller where in correctly. I mixed a new batch of fuel and cleaned the tank. None of this made any difference. I can’t find any adjuster on the carburetor other then the idle which is OK. (I am not a mechanic) but have worked on engines before. I am at a lost and don’t know what to go next. Please help ----Larry
nolalefty

Advertisement

Re: Echo PE225

Postby tuffnell » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:29 pm

You will get a much better response to your question if you were to post it in the Technical forum.
Maybe one of the moderators will move it, but at this time of the year everybody is busy.
tuffnell
Guide

Postby okie » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:22 am

Hello Larry--Welcome to the forum
Tuffnell is right, this post needs to be in the tech forum and will be moved b-4 the day is done. and you will get some suggestions.

My thoughts are the carb is still dirty or you are sucking air some where. Someone will give you a more professional opinion.

Travis :usa:
John 3:16
okie
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:00 pm

According to the parts list you have a Zama Rb-K93 which should have a main mixture adjustment but it is ball plugged to prevent tampering. Reference items 33 and 34 in the following parts list.
http://zamacarb.com/carburetors/976

That plug would need to be remove in order to adjust the carburetor. Note even though the parts list shows this it doesn't always mean it is there as I have seen a few that weren't. The carburetor itself is fairly reasonable if search for the Zama RB-K93 instead of the Echo part number.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby okie » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:44 pm

Hey Kev

Please move this thread to the tech forum so I don't look so bad.
Thank you very much and where is Brian and I know where Bobodu is. At the lake

I have to stop overloading my backside. :oops:

John 3:16
okie
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:59 pm

okie wrote: and where is Brian

Right here.. and without more data from the O.P. your thoughts are just about spot on - carb problem or air leak is most likely - I could not add much more other than probably his best best is a new carb. Those rotary valve carbs are easy to work with and clean.. until someone takes them all the way apart , removing the rotary valve body, which rarely if ever needs to be removed as there's little more than the low speed adjustment (which if all else is correct, should not need any adjustment) - that rarely gets gummed up as the movement of the needle usually works to keep that circuit quite clean.. and as KE4 mentioned there is the high speed adjustment, but again if properly cleaned , and carb still seems to need adjustment, there's another problem somewhere, so either a bad carb or an air leak.. might could also be a partially plugged spark screen, but that's pretty rare unless using incorrect mix oil.

But, from the symptoms described, its a lean condition, and assuming all the work so far was done correctly, it is likely either a bad carb or a crankcase air leak somewheres.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:39 am

okie wrote:Hey Kev

Please move this thread to the tech forum so I don't look so bad.
Thank you very much and where is Brian and I know where Bobodu is. At the lake

I have to stop overloading my backside. :oops:

Can't Okie, I don't have the permissions to do that either. Only Brian, Bobodu and Nevada has those as far as I know.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:00 pm

KE4AVB wrote:
Can't Okie, I don't have the permissions to do that either. Only Brian, Bobodu and Nevada has those as far as I know.

You should be able to - check for the hard to spot moderator panel - I use it so rarely (and not on this ID) I couldn't give a walk-through without doing it myself, but I would think you have that access, as forum admin... if I recall you should have a drop down list on bottom right of the thread? (Move topic)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby nolalefty » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:23 pm

Thanks for the advise. I will remove the carb one more time and check according to your advise. If I don't make any progress I'll replace the carb. I'll let you know how it turns out.
nolalefty

Postby bobodu » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:33 pm

Hey....I moved it !!!! Think I'll get a piece of pie.
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to The Break Room AKA General Discussion