• Advertisement

SnowThrower - Troy-bilt Storm 5024

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

SnowThrower - Troy-bilt Storm 5024

Postby Oldengray » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:39 pm

Hello Everyone! I hope you all are doing well!

I just joined this Forum, and this is my first post! I doubt that it will prove much of a challenge for the handy-folks who contribute here!

I have a Troy-bilt 2-stage snow-thrower, a Storm 5024. <<< That's what it says on the manual, which didn't help me with my question, nor did the 1-800 help-line, which put me on the recorded-reply merry-go-round until I got dizzy and fell off, without ANY helful information, LOL!

Okay, I was looking for the fuel line, as I neglected to drain/run out the gas last year (and I didn't really find the line, but..the tank was bone dry, so...I guess that's good!) But...

...while looking around...I found a new mystery.

It was a small, white, two-prong electrical (I'm guessing) plug. It connects right under the area where the electric-start button and three-prong plug-in are. I use a cord to plug-in to a power-outlet and connect to that 3-pronger. It's not the spark-plug boot, as that looks connected. It disappears under a silver cylinder, which is about 2-3 inches in diameter, and about 4-5 inches long, what I'm guessing is part of the Starter-upper!

The little plug was tucked between that silver-cylinder and the fuel-tank, like it was done purposely at the store, and I don't think I've done anything that might have resulted in it being disconnected...but I can't swear to it.

Is it possible that it is an alternative power-input for a NON-manual pull-starting, like by a battery or something?

I pored over the manual...and I didn't see reference ONE to that little bugger, LOL!

Would you all be able to put my mind at ease before I test-fire my lightly used machine tomorrow?

Thank you all, so much!

Alex N in Indiana

Advertisement

Re: SnowThrower - Troy-bilt Storm 5024

Postby bgsengine » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:58 pm

that's where the headlight accessory would attach - it's the output of the charging system that runs a headlight (which was an option on some of those models)

The rest of it you got pretty accurately guessed at . The fuel line is very hard to seem, and I am betting you have a Powermore engine on that troy-bilt , the MTD Powermore engines, the fuel tank sits on top of the engine, 3 bolts hold it in place, the fuel line comes out the bottom (and there is a very small diameter fuel filter in the tank outlet BTW.) , fuel line runs down over top of engine and behind/through shrouds, to the carburetor and fuel shut-off (if equipped) - not difficult to service, but just needs care and patience. a lot of engine covers and trim to remove, hidden screws, but 3 bolts and tank comes off, where you can unhook fuel line.

when they are assembled, fuel tank, line, and carburetor are pretty much just all dropped in as an assembly, then blower housing, recoil starter, air cleaner and trim panels.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby mwerles » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:05 pm

probably a connector for models with a head light
Model # of engine would help
Les
mwerles
Forum Regular

Postby Oldengray » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:19 pm

Thank you, both, so very much!

A headlight connector! Well, I'll be! I don't know if I ever would have guessed THAT! :o

Thank you BSG for the tutorial about the engine/fuel tank! You described it to a T!

Thank you, too, Les! I'm sorry that I didn't give the model number...is there a place on the 'thrower where I'd see it? If I have anymore questions (which would not surprise me, as the older I get they seem to pop up with every new grey hair, LOL!) that way I'll provide all the info I can!

Well, tomorrow I give it some fresh gas...and hope it start up! Us folks up here in the northern-third of Indiana were missed today, but I don't expect that luck to hold all winter! ;)

Thank you, again! < * > Take Care!

(Hey, being new here, should I put "Solved" in the subject-line, or anything like that?)

Postby bgsengine » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:41 pm

as for "solved" - that would be up to you. It isn't any particular benefit, I don't think.

As to your *engine* model number, for the Powermore, it is engraved (dot matrix) in the side of the engine block - There will be a lot of numbers, some separated by a dash.. Kind of like: 4P70G123-09122773 or some such , probably below or behind the electric starter - much like Honda and Subaru do for their engines - both will have model, spec, and serial engraved in the engine block.

Equipment model is more important with these (Engine parts are looked up under that model number, not the engine model, anyway (but the engine model *can* be helpful, especially if engine is ever replaced)
- Machine Model and Serial number are on a 'square-ish" label on the back of the machine between the handlebar mounting on the gearbox access panel - If you tip the machine up on the front end so the handlebars stick straight up, you'll see the label front and center between handles and below the shifter arm and controls. - Model and serial (serial number can tell the year) can be read off the label without doing that if you don't mind getting down on hands and knees to locate the label. Machine model number would look something like:
31A54QD711 (just an example of the format) and serial number will look like: 1K234H001323 (again an example of format)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Oldengray » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:12 pm

Thank You!
Oldengray

Return to Technical Discussion Forum