• Advertisement

Diesel Conversion

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Diesel Conversion

Postby John_Forbush » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:10 pm

Ok, I have an 11hp briggs and Stratton engine I converted to diesel, as of right now it's carbureted, I was wondering if it would be possible to take a low pressure injector from a late 80's Mercedes diesel and a fuel pump and making a manifold so I could make it a direct injection engine?
John_Forbush

Advertisement

Re: Diesel Conversion

Postby Skywatcher » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:26 pm

Hi John

Did you say you have converted or have plans to convert? If the engine is still carburetor fed, then it's not a true diesel. A true diesel works on compression ignition not spark ignition. (that being said, some model airplane engines were carburetor fed diesels but were really fussy to start and needed a special nitromethane blended fuel) I'd be very surprised if a B&S engine would hold up to the pressures required in a diesel. We used to figure minimum compression for a diesel at cranking speed was 350 to 400 psi. Is this going to be a direct or indirect injection design.

Have you installed a new piston with the toroidal dome for direct injection or piston the cloverleaf recess and a pre combustion chamber in the head for indirect. Also, how do you intend to drive the injection pump once installed? bearing in mind the injection pump has to be driven at camshaft speed and timed perfectly to the crankshaft for correct start of injection. I'd be interested to know how you make out with this project. All the best,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:59 pm

Here is an article that might be of interest on this subject from the smokstak forum.
http://www.smokstak.com/library/technical-information-7/running-kerosene-in-a-gasoline-engine-23/
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bobodu » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:42 am

You will like end up with a pile of scrap metal. That engine isn't strong enough to take the beating for long.
" The air is then compressed with a compression ratio typically between 15:1 and 22:1 resulting in 40-bar (4.0 MPa; 580 psi) pressure compared to 8 to 14 bars (0.80 to 1.4 MPa; 120 to 200 psi) in the petrol engine. " From wiki..
After reading the thread again..it looks like you still plan to keep the ignition..So what's the point with the price being so much higher for fuel?
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:05 am

Maybe he is using home brew diesel fuel (bio-diesel). There is sure enough used cooking oil to make it from at least during Thanksgiving time frame. Obtaining the lye to do it can be a problem or at least in my area because of the meth problem.

If he is using the carburetor feed version the compression ratio is less than most thinks. According to the article I reference to there is a need to use two head gaskets stack to lower it.

From what I gather he is asking if can use direct injection on this set-up and the answer is no as the fuel needs to vaporize instead of being heated by the compression. There is simply not enough compression on a standard gasoline engine to produce the required heating of the cold compressed diesel fuel for it to self ignite.

This engine would more like the kerosene versions that I have read about, for me I haven't physically seen one.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:24 am

KE4AVB wrote: Obtaining the lye to do it can be a problem .

Who needs to obtain it? All you need is wood ash and water.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby John_Forbush » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:16 pm

It's already converted, it's carbureted and runs in the summer on just compression ignition and in the winter I UN an e3 spark plug, if I make it fuel injected it'll be indirect injection, I'm thinking about using a Mercedes injector. And thanks for the advice.
John_Forbush

Postby John_Forbush » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:20 pm

And to time the pump I was thinking of maybe setting up a crank trigger.
John_Forbush

Postby bgsengine » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:43 pm

Fascinating. Can you explain how the conversion was done, what exactly has to be done to convert it?
It would be an excellent education for the rest of us here!
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby John_Forbush » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:49 pm

As of right now the head is milled about .20 and it just runs on diesel.
John_Forbush

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum