• Advertisement

1950's Hamilton Beach Hand Mixer

While these are not our main line of work, there are many professionals in the OPE Business that also work with Electric Power Tools, Kerosene Heaters, and Lawn & Landscaping topics. There are other forums specializing in these subjects, but some of us are willing to try and help with your issues.

1950's Hamilton Beach Hand Mixer

Postby Skywatcher » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:21 am

Greetings All

Here's a little question for all who are interested. One of my wife’s closest friends, Melody, just inherited a Hamilton Beach model G hand/stand mixer from her parents estate. The serial number of the mixer is; WM 96637G D. This unit was a wedding gift to Melody’s parents in the late 1950’s, so is close to 60 years old. Melody has enquired at several different appliance repair shops with regards to having this unit serviced, however, none of the shops will touch a machine as old as this one.

I told Melody I’d be more than willing to give this old mixer a clean up and service. Melody indicates she probably won’t use it that much, but wants it in good working order mainly for sentimental reasons. Before I delve into this piece of vintage craftsmanship, does anyone know what type of grease or lube is recommend for use in the main gear case? Any thoughts or ideas? All the best,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Advertisement

Re: 1950's Hamilton Beach Hand Mixer

Postby bgsengine » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:29 pm

I would suspect that KE4 could suggest better, but from my experience tearing those things apart and noting the type of grease in it, appears to be something like a white lithium or lithium based. However - Considering that this is used in Food Preparation, I think it would need to be more of a "food grade" lubricant - I dont know enough about that sort of spec for grease to say if White Lithium would be suitable, however. Or, could be just Vaseline. :)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Re: 1950's Hamilton Beach Hand Mixer

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:36 am

I don't use it as much as I once did but still it for packing my bearings on my honey extractor. As we all know most consumer equipment has gotten to be throw-a-ways when they break.

Actually its a mineral oil based product that is the FDA requires to be food safe. The color is what I call off-white (light amber to amber at times depending on age). It does resembles white lithium grease in color. There was another grease that looks like a thicken honey and just as sticky but I haven't seen it in a long time. The FDA rules on what was and is now consider food safe has changed a lot over the last 30+ yrs.; just like our EPA rules has changed.

Petrol-Gel seems to be the easiest to obtain at a reasonable price in small quantities. 4 oz tube.
https://www.google.com/search?q=food+safe+grease&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Power Tools, Miscellaneous Home & Garden