• Advertisement

Briggs OHV single cylinder?

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Briggs OHV single cylinder?

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:17 pm

Arkie wrote:
KE4AVB wrote:Don't forget to check the oil slinger/governor for damage.

Will do.
Will the oil pump type engines like this 33 series have a oil slinger also?
I've had governors break on the old L-heads, the governor is working good for now but I'll give it a close inspection.

It is the same oil slinger/governor that is used on the 21, 28, 31, and 33 engines. Oil pump or not.

I looked at a picture of the Briggs Intek OHV Twins cam.
For example a 445577 1187B1

I do not see a external slinger type ACR on the cam wondering if the ACR is built into the Cam's grind profile and if so is their ACR on the intake valves?

As far as I know there is no special grind on the v-twins.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:39 pm

When I pulled the sump off the donor engine to check the compression release on the cam the compression release slinger was gone off the cam and lots of bad broken stuff inside :( :bricks: :shock:

Appears the head is good and external parts.

I now see first hand what could very easily happen to my existing running engine if it's not placed on standby until the cam is replaced. ;)
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby SUKI » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:59 am

Now you see what we all have been saying for years. These ACRs can do a lot damage when they fail. just depend at what speed they fail.
SUKI
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Arkie » Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:49 am

Update:

Got lucky:
I removed a good camshaft from a non running donor engine and installed and set the intake valve clearance at a tight .0025 while rotating the engfine CW looking down at the flywheel and 1/4" past TDC.. Couple days later had to go back because cranking started hanging on the compression stroke and found the intake valve clearance had changed to at .006??????.
re-adjusted to .0025 and all ok now for last 20 hours of run time.
I used Yamaha bond on both sides of the sump gasket and let it dry for 24 hours before adding oil. (the paper sump gasket on some engines will start leaking when exposed to hot oil if the gasket not secured with a sealant or the case halves secured with a good sealant)) The crankshaft clearance was too tight W/O the .015 paper gasket. I've noticed on Briggs engines if the crankshaft end play is at the upper limits of .030 the counterbalance will sometimes produce a knock. (sound like rod knocking) so i keep the end play to minimum when re-assemblying.Also requires a good strong battery/starter to crank these engines through compression especially in cold weather for a cold start even when all is correct.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum