• Advertisement

deck spindle mounting bolts

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: deck spindle mounting bolts

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:42 am

Good thing I am running Tor now as I couldn't even pull the video on either FF 51 or IE 11., especially since I am halfway to the Pow Wow and don't have access to the office systems. Nine minute video to do a less than a 2 minute job with the correct tool. including getting the tool of the toolbox. Never surprises me what a redneck will do to keep from using the correct tools. The use of the correct tool is also a lot less messy too. Just my opinion.

Strange that I couldn't access the video through my normal US internet connections currently routed thru France, Netherlands, and Canada. Viewing the video no problem. ;)
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Fulltilt » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:17 pm

KE4AVB wrote:Fulltilt,

Its not that hard to change a set of $4 bearings per spindle ...That's what they made blind hole bearing pullers for.

I'm confused... so they made blind hole bearing pullers to remove spindle bearings ? And here I thought all you had to do was knock them out with a drift angled in thru the bore. You learn something new every day!

"Of course I don't use those cheap Chinese spindles either"
Of course.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste...
Fulltilt
Guide

Postby Fulltilt » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:22 pm

38racing wrote:this was interesting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggsEewAg2YM
wet paper towel

That's a waay old trick...most commonly used for getting the pilot bushing out of an automotive flywheel.
It helps to have a blind hole bushing puller, but...
Fulltilt
Guide

Postby StarTech » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:18 pm

Fulltilt wrote:I'm confused... so they made blind hole bearing pullers to remove spindle bearings ? And here I thought all you had to do was knock them out with a drift angled in thru the bore. You learn something new every day!

I try to answer for AVB as he is out pocket for at least a few days.

I have had Eugene to remove some JD spindle bearings a couple years ago that I couldn't even budge with a hammer and punch here that was so rusted in place. I was kinda afraid I would bust out spindle hub lip. Since he showed what he used I got my own set and I even had remove new bearings that were basically pressed in during assembly where I forgot to put in the spacer. No risk of damaging those seals. He usually even pull the new bearings on new AYP spindles that have grease zerks because they don't remove the inner seal on the bearings.

If I remember correctly those pilot bushings and needle bearings are in the end of the crankshaft and not the flywheel. Maybe they change the design on those since I work on them in the '70s.
StarTech

Postby 38racing » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:35 pm

I have a mtd vari-drive and I can't punch out the bearings. Maybe the puller would work on them
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby StarTech » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:59 pm

38racing wrote:I have a mtd vari-drive and I can't punch out the bearings. Maybe the puller would work on them

If you're referring to that sliding pulley then the answer is yes but only pulled a couple of these as I only have seen two bad ones in my shop. If I remember correctly that is a Needle Bearing .572 x .75 x .555. The aftermarket bearing is about half the MTD one's price.

StarTech

Postby Fulltilt » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:03 pm

Starfire1 wrote:If I remember correctly those pilot bushings and needle bearings are in the end of the crankshaft and not the flywheel. Maybe they change the design on those since I work on them in the '70s.

You do, they are, and they haven't.

I own a Snap On blind bushing/brg puller that I bought new over 40 years ago, and have never used it to remove spindle bearings.

It would work good on that guys vari-drive pulley bearings, but if you don't own one, you could probably get by using a long sharp punch, a sharp ended small drift rod, a long bolt or even a flat blade screwdriver that has been ground down to a blunt end. The key is to grind a good, sharp, square, business end on whatever you use. I've used all of them and still use them for different applications.
Fulltilt
Guide

Postby bgsengine » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:27 pm

Starfire1 wrote: He usually even pull the new bearings on new AYP spindles that have grease zerks because they don't remove the inner seal on the bearings.

Actually the purpose of the grease in those cases is not for lubrication but for cooling, which is why they don't take out the inner seals of sealed ball bearings - the grease helps with heat transfer from the spindle and draws heat away from the bearings and seals to transfer heat to the spindle housing for cooling. I have found that removing the seal and greasing the spindle results in no increase to bearing life and actually adds to the mess (from overgreasing) and grease on the belts is not good.. so, we no longer bother to try to do that where we know the bearings are supposed to be permanently sealed. Just a couple shots of grease once a season to keep fresh grease in the spindle (which melts and settles over time) is about all they really need.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby 38racing » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:46 pm

Fulltilt wrote:
Starfire1 wrote:If I remember correctly those pilot bushings and needle bearings are in the end of the crankshaft and not the flywheel. Maybe they change the design on those since I work on them in the '70s.

You do, they are, and they haven't.

I own a Snap On blind bushing/brg puller that I bought new over 40 years ago, and have never used it to remove spindle bearings.

It would work good on that guys vari-drive pulley bearings, but if you don't own one, you could probably get by using a long sharp punch, a sharp ended small drift rod, a long bolt or even a flat blade screwdriver that has been ground down to a blunt end. The key is to grind a good, sharp, square, business end on whatever you use. I've used all of them and still use them for different applications.

Can't get a good angle with the punch on the vari-drive. Looking for the best deal now on the blind puller.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby Fulltilt » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:18 am

Them pullers do come in handy at times. Have you checked with an auto parts joint, some have a pretty good selection of loaner tools ?
Fulltilt
Guide

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Discussion Forum