• Advertisement

Briggs Generator

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Briggs Generator

Postby lefty » Fri May 05, 2017 6:41 pm

Briggs generator: 01892

Briggs motor:
Model:204412
Type: 0147E1
Code: 0402191D...(I'm a little sketchy on the last two characters, they were tough to read)

A friend brought this by today with a no start condition. Hasn't started it in some time. Spark is strong and compression looks good. So I want to remove the carb.
The carb is held on by two bolts with a star point. But the choke shaft runs through a metal part of the air filter housing. The bolts have flanges on them that won't pass through the air filter housing holes. So it appears that i have to somehow remove the choke shaft first before removing the air filter housing and then the carb.

But what the hell do I know. I checked online for videos but none of the ones I've found have this set up. Before I screw things up, I thought I'd check in with the forum.
lefty
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Briggs Generator

Postby Fulltilt » Fri May 05, 2017 6:53 pm

Some you need to remove the choke plate, then the shaft, others just have a lever that pops off and the shaft lifts out. Witness mark the plate before you remove the screws, or take a picture.
Do you not have access to the briggs parts site? https://shop.briggsandstratton.com/us/en/repair-parts#/Briggs_%26_Stratton/204412-0147-E1/Carburetor%2c_Kit_-_Carburetor_Overhaul/2044120147E1/64440004B

The last two characters of the date code are not important/needed.
Last edited by Fulltilt on Fri May 05, 2017 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste...
Fulltilt
Guide

Postby lefty » Fri May 05, 2017 6:59 pm

I do have access but the schematic doesn't appear to show the same part. I took a photo but I'm having a huge problem with photobucket. I'm working on getting a photo posted now. Do you have a suggestion for an alternative photo posting platform?
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby Fulltilt » Fri May 05, 2017 7:03 pm

I don't need a picture. The pic was for your own use if you have to remove the choke plate, etc.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste...
Fulltilt
Guide

Postby lefty » Fri May 05, 2017 7:14 pm

Not sure if this worked but here's an image. Don't take this as redundant Fulltilt. This is a combination of troubleshooting for this machine as well as for my ability to post pictures.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri May 05, 2017 8:23 pm

The lever is two piece and will slip apart if you pry up on the lever at the pivot point. But notice there is small slot in one side of hole that the choke lever needs to line up with the corresponding tab for the lever to come out. See noted area.

That also tells me you have the Nikki carburetor. Be carefully of the float bowl gasket as it is easily damaged ; also take care not to lose the main jet as they sometimes just fall out if the retaining o-ring is bad.

BTW those screws uses an E5 socket but many home techs use a pair vise grips the loosen them. A better alternative to vise grip would be two nuts locked together to remove the screws.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Fri May 05, 2017 9:48 pm

re those torx e5. i did a Tecumseh rider swap last year for a friend. unit was new to him and he does not do mechanical stuff. told me that he had it dealer serviced. when i went to swap carbs I found one of those e5 ends totally screwed.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby Luffydog » Fri May 05, 2017 11:02 pm

Can also use a 4mm or 5mm socket can't remember which but a metric socket will work
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat May 06, 2017 3:10 am

I reckon some shops just don't know where to buy the tools. Briggs is fairly high just for one socket but you can get them from HF in a set 1/4 dr deep well set, just make sure you get the set with the E5. Yes a hex socket will work in a pinch just like a trox will work in some hex screws. Either one can the damage the screw heads butthe most damage I see is from the vise grips.

6 piece 1/4 Dr E sockets (E4, E5, E6, E7, E8 and E10)
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sat May 06, 2017 5:36 am

Thanks guys. I saw that little tab and slot last night and though that to be the case but don't like forcing things. I figured if there wasn't some type of fastener head down that little hole in the handle, it must split it two.

I actually took the air filter off a couple of days ago and immediately noticed the "e" type interface on the bolt. I didn't know what the proper name was at the time (i was thinking some type of inverted torx or torx socket). But I popped into Harbor Freight yesterday morning and picked up a cheap set. But that two-nut idea sounds like it would have worked like a charm. I'm glad I picked up the set though because it came with both the E sockets and a generous helping of star tips as well, some of which I didn't have already.

Thanks again. I'm sure you'll be hearing from me again on this one. It's the first generator and carb of this type I've ever seen.
lefty
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum