• Advertisement

White Outdoors lawnmower question...

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: White Outdoors lawnmower question...

Postby dart451 » Tue May 23, 2017 8:37 am

Ok, It appears that on the White Outdoors, or MTD, the engine information is found with the model number of the whole unit! I looked at the diagrams for the engine and it appears that the governor assembly is NOT an orderable item! Can anyone verify this? The Model number is 11A-54MB090, ser.1A266K31071 (I know, I couldn't find this number exactly either but it's a correct number) Close as I got was 11A-54MB790 W-54MB (2006).
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby Fulltilt » Tue May 23, 2017 9:39 am

dart451 wrote:Ok, It appears that on the White Outdoors, or MTD, the engine information is found with the model number of the whole unit! I looked at the diagrams for the engine and it appears that the governor assembly is NOT an orderable item! Can anyone verify this? The Model number is 11A-54MB090, ser.1A266K31071 (I know, I couldn't find this number exactly either but it's a correct number) Close as I got was 11A-54MB790 W-54MB (2006).

Looks to be a 1P65 motor, so...
Seems like you're SOL on the gov. assy.
Time to do some serious mouse clicking, no?
A mind is a terrible thing to waste...
Fulltilt
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Tue May 23, 2017 10:39 am

Actually the governor is available just not in the US. Can be gotten out of the UK.

PN 092.49.164 about 22.57 USD plus shipping.

Would need to check to see if they will ship to the US.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby dart451 » Tue May 23, 2017 10:55 am

Ok, thanks! I'm checking on that now. How did you find the info to get the part number off the governor assembly?
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Tue May 23, 2017 11:02 am

You may also find a governor gear kit under 951-11576 used on the 165-SU engines - may or may not fit the 1P65 - and that is IF you need a governor gear - if you can put the carb back in and get things moving freely and do a static governor adjustment , might solve the whole problem - Or you could assume the worst and tear it down to inspect the engine internals.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby dart451 » Tue May 23, 2017 11:10 am

bgsengine wrote:You may also find a governor gear kit under 951-11576 used on the 165-SU engines - may or may not fit the 1P65 - and that is IF you need a governor gear - if you can put the carb back in and get things moving freely and do a static governor adjustment , might solve the whole problem - Or you could assume the worst and tear it down to inspect the engine internals.

I started it again and I did do a static governor adjustment...it was a little off but it did not help the problem. I even threw another carb on that I had laying around and it still races...(threw the other carb on because it seemed to run better at full choke. Funny, if I hold the governor arm back, no choke, it runs slower but it won't go slower without pressure on the governor arm.
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby Fulltilt » Tue May 23, 2017 11:21 am

dart451 wrote:
bgsengine wrote:You may also find a governor gear kit under 951-11576 used on the 165-SU engines - may or may not fit the 1P65 - and that is IF you need a governor gear - if you can put the carb back in and get things moving freely and do a static governor adjustment , might solve the whole problem - Or you could assume the worst and tear it down to inspect the engine internals.

I started it again and I did do a static governor adjustment...it was a little off but it did not help the problem. I even threw another carb on that I had laying around and it still races...(threw the other carb on because it seemed to run better at full choke. Funny, if I hold the governor arm back, no choke, it runs slower but it won't go slower without pressure on the governor arm.

You do know how statically set/reset the gov., right? It sounds like you are doing it while the motor is running?
Fulltilt
Guide

Postby dart451 » Tue May 23, 2017 11:28 am

No sir, the motor was not running when I performed the static adjustment...lol And, just to make sure...I tried a static adjustment the opposite of what the book says, doesn't make a bit of difference where the governor shaft is adjusted...
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby Fulltilt » Tue May 23, 2017 11:43 am

Well then, obviously the customer needs a new mower, right?
They don't last forever. Trash can it.

As an aside, show the customer the IPL what shows the gov. and cam, etc as not avail.
Collect your diagnosis fee and send him to Lowes for a new mower. Simple , huh?

As an aside aside, blame it on the other shop! What sometimes happens is, the caveman "tech" is messing with the governor arm and overspeeds the motor, the internal paddle is being held off the spool, and the flyweights extend too far, usually resulting in getting mangled by the cam gear, ( thus my mention of the cam earlier).
Last edited by Fulltilt on Tue May 23, 2017 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fulltilt
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Tue May 23, 2017 12:08 pm

Try this as I have seen it to work on some engines that had worn governors. Doesn't work if the governor has failed.

Do that static adjust as normally then adjust it with the throttle vane a tad short of wide open (around .020"). Sometimes it works as it condensates for worn flyweights pivot points. I got several Kohler Courages that would not stop surging until I tried this.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Discussion Forum