• Advertisement

Weak Briggs and Stratton Starter?

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Weak Briggs and Stratton Starter?

Postby sblg43 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:30 am

I am working on an older Simplicity tractor. This tractor has a Briggs 289707-0113-01 engine. This is a flat head engine, NOT an OHV.

Last year, I replaced the starter bendix. It has the plastic 16 tooth gear. The bendix is the kind that has a roll-pin holding it in place.

The battery is new and when load tested, tests fully charged and strong. The positive cable was badly worn where it connects to the battery and I installed a new copper connector. The solenoid tests good. All connections are clean and tight.

But after checking all that, the engine still cranks over very slowly. Sometimes it starts but sometimes the cranking stops and I find that the plastic gear on the starter is stuck in the flywheel. I borrowed a known good starter from a different tractor and the temporary starter turns the engine over quickly and strongly, starting the engine right away.

I opened up the original starter and found nothing obviously wrong. Brushes have plenty of life left in them, internal windings are clean, magnets are in good shape.... etc..

So I am wondering, does a starter get weak? If so, from what and can it be fixed?

My customer doesn't mind paying for a new starter but I am having trouble finding a new starter with the same bendix - or doesn't that matter as long as it has 16 teeth?
sblg43
Forum Regular

Advertisement

Re: Weak Briggs and Stratton Starter?

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:14 am

Probably worn out bushings.

The old roll pin style has been discontinued in flavor of the newer design with the ring clip. Plus the price of an aftermarket is very reasonable.

https://www.jackssmallengines.com/jacks-parts-lookup/part/arrowhead/sbs0001
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:26 am

I've had good luck with NEW small engine starters from this guy (dbelectrical) on flea bay at around $30 with free shipping and a spare gear and he is a fast shipper inside the USA.
Research and make sure this is the one you need. or send the guy a email question to make sure.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Starter-Bri ... 53f825e4b1

ebay number 360645518513

You may know this: Also keep a heads up when removing/ re-installing those starters. The mounting bolts will strip out easy on those aluminum block L-head engines. One of the short bolts is kinda behind the gear and can easily result in ruined threads on the engine if not careful when removing or installing. (easily heli-coiled or sometimes a slightly longer bolt or all thread stud with catch extra good threads if you are lucky) Takes two good tight bolts to hold them in secure place and make a good ground connection.

You (he) will eventually need the spare fiber gear. (the fiber gear can break at any time and usually breaks right when you need the engine to go) :cry:

KE4AVB is right on about just little slack in the bushings, especially the Bendix gear end will result in a weak crank and not worth the effort to try and rebuild on your old style and it's also common for the bendix gear to stay in the flywheel if the engine don't ever spin faster than the starter so a to reverse spin the gear down on those.

Don't forget to check the negative battery ground cable and make sure the engine mounting bolts are tight. I use a GOOD Heavy duty battery jumper cable and go from the engine block to the neg battery terminal to check the ground connections and bypasses the neg cable and connections.
A weak crank sometimes is not just one thing little bit bad, it's a combination of things. (starter, battery, connections, etc)
but your old starter is a dinosaur anyway and needs replaced assuming the rest of the rig is worth the $$. ;)

If new starter don't make it go get back too us. ;)
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby Fulltilt » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:31 am

Yeah, DB Electrical is the way to go. I've gotten several starters from them with no problems, always fast shipping.
https://www.dbelectrical.com/search-results/?search_query_adv=SBS0001

They also sell on fleabay, as arkie posted.

Either way, free shipping and no sales tax.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste...
Fulltilt
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:05 am

Arkie wrote:You (he) will eventually need the spare fiber gear. (the fiber gear can break at any time and usually breaks right when you need the engine to go)

Personally I never had many plastic starter gears to go bad here in the shop. Probably why I still have 21 of the 25 I brought back in 2010. I had a guy brought 2 of them within a week, I had him to bring in the mower and found he had a steel ring gear so was he installing the wrong gear; of course, he didn't know better as someone sold him the wrong starter to start with.

I would be on the safe side and say double check that flywheel ring. The plastic 16 tooth gear works on aluminum and plastic rings but won't on the steel ring as it requires a 14 tooth steel gear. The IPL is indicating the plastic gear.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby sblg43 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:36 pm

I ordered a 16 tooth starter from DB Electrical. Thanks all. I will let you know how it goes.
sblg43
Forum Regular

Return to Technical Discussion Forum