• Advertisement

Problems With Newer Craftsman Lawn Tractor Transmissions

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Problems With Newer Craftsman Lawn Tractor Transmissions

Postby R4665 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:32 pm

I'm wanting to replace my 1998 Craftsman Lawn Tractor with Kohler Engine and Hydrostatic transmission with fender control. It has been a great mower. The mower still has some life and I will be giving it to my adult son. I'm looking at used mowers to replace it.

In talking with a mower repair guy, he said that the transmissions on the "newer" Craftsman mowers have plastic parts that wear out after a few years. He said to avoid transmissions that have a black (plastic?)case and find one with the traditional silver metal case. I also saw about 70 negative reviews on the newer transmissions at one web site. The owners were saying pretty much what the repair guy said.

Does anyone know when Sears started using this type of transmission? I've been looking on Craigslist at mowers, but without going and looking at the mowers and see what the transmission looks like, I have no idea the type of transmission they might have.

So, I'm looking for a way to "screen" mowers. Buy before a particular year? Avoid certain models? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
R4665
Forum Regular

Advertisement

Re: Problems With Newer Craftsman Lawn Tractor Transmissions

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:49 pm

The transmission they are talking about is the General Transmissions RS800P and RS800F. P refer to pedal operation and F to fender operation. The Craftsman mowers that have these are based on the Husqvarna YTA series. Personally I have only seen one RS800F in the shop for deck problems.

Now beware Craftsmans are now also made by MTD too with familiar MTD sliding sleeve pulley and belt system. Even then some of the MTD made versions have a hydrostatic transmission. Basically you would need the model number to see how they are setup and use Searpartsdirect.com website for the IPLs.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby R4665 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:17 pm

Thanks for the info. I'm very familiar with looking up parts and getting the IPL's. however, I'm not sure by looking at the schematic how to know which transmission it has. Example 917.288515 Sn 94971200D019240. Link to Sears Parts:
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/model-number/917288515/0247/1509200.html?searchType=modelSearch&q=917.288515&searchTerm=917.288515

When I look at the schematic, how do I differentiate between the different manufacturers of hydrostatic transmissions?

Thanks
R4665
Forum Regular

Postby R4665 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:21 pm

Just a picture of the newer transmission on the manufacturer's web site which is helpful. http://www.generaltransmissions.com/en/products/tractor/rs-800
R4665
Forum Regular

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:45 pm

R4665 wrote:Thanks for the info. I'm very familiar with looking up parts and getting the IPL's. however, I'm not sure by looking at the schematic how to know which transmission it has. Example 917.288515 Sn 94971200D019240. Link to Sears Parts:
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/model-number/917288515/0247/1509200.html?searchType=modelSearch&q=917.288515&searchTerm=917.288515

When I look at the schematic, how do I differentiate between the different manufacturers of hydrostatic transmissions?

Thanks

A lot what I do is from experience of working on these but I can tell that the one in the example is a Tuff Torq K46 series and I when looked under the transaxle section of the IPL I found it is a K46BA. The IPLs on other model should list the transaxles
too. I know they put the manufacture in the IPL but with you should be able to figure out whose it is but not then the model number asking which transaxle it has and someone here should able to tell you.

BTW The 247 are the MTDs and the 917 are the AYP(Husqvarna) modesl plus some of the Husqvarna ones will be 944.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby R4665 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:38 pm

when looked under the transaxle section of the IPL I found it is a K46BA.

Got it. I was looking on the wrong schematic. The transaxle page was the last schematic and I had not scrolled over that far. That will be very helpful in looking at various mowers.

Thanks for the info on the manufacturer codes.

Also, I was reading that there is a difference between an automatic transmission and Hydrostatic although the fender control is the same and they operate similarly. Can you explain the difference? Is one better than the other?

Thanks
R4665
Forum Regular

Postby bgsengine » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:51 pm

R4665 wrote:
when looked under the transaxle section of the IPL I found it is a K46BA.

Got it. I was looking on the wrong schematic. The transaxle page was the last schematic and I had not scrolled over that far. That will be very helpful in looking at various mowers.

Thanks for the info on the manufacturer codes.

Also, I was reading that there is a difference between an automatic transmission and Hydrostatic although the fender control is the same and they operate similarly. Can you explain the difference? Is one better than the other?

Thanks

There's the MTD Auto-drive which is just the variable pulley system but with a separate clutch that works like a "gas pedal" - the more you push it down the faster it goes, but still have to shift F-N-R for direction. The "Automatic transmission" term is sometimes used in place of Hydrostatic or Hydro drive .. so there's some variations in terminology depending on the manufacturer - Some will refer to hydro transmission as hydrostatic , others may call it automatic..

MTD Auto-Drive (and modern 5-7 speed transmission) both work off the belt system with variable pulley - but you have to shift forward or reverse or neutral - Hydro transmissions typically have the one belt (or shaft drive in the case of some cub cadet garden tractors - no belt at all) they are basically working on the same principles as an automatic transmission in a car (fluid transfer causing variable rotation controlled by valves)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:22 pm

And RS800 is using a system similar the belt drive on ATVs and UTVs with two constantly changing pulley diameters (sliding Sheave pulleys) and a manual gear box though it advertise as an automatic transmission.

The difference from the ATV style is that on an ATV the engine speed changes the sheaves diameters and on the RS 800 it is mechancially done via either the pedal or the fender lever if my understanding is correct. Also on ATVs there can be multi speed range transmissions.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Luffydog » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:51 pm

Those in husquvarna Husqvarna new tractor styles your lucky to even get those out the shop door. I think one lasted two days and was brung back in. Two was gone for about a week or two and the other was about 3 months. Avoid the plastic trans axle if all possible. The Troy Bilt pony have like the others are talking we call them variable speed. Which not to bad that I have seen but like to eat belts because of all the friction it takes to move them and if your trying to go up hill a lot the belts won't last long before they start not pulling or slowing down before failure.
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:10 am

That is a kinda a give me when it comes to wear and tear. My personal Bolens 38" usually needs belts about every three years. Currently I using it to cut 6 acres and with me being 250 doesn't help. The only problem I had with the single speed axle is that someone didn't grease the left axle at the factory and it worn through the bushing last year but still not bad for a '05 mower.

And yes I use a 38" to cut 6 acres as I tend let it get overgrown and the 15.5 hp has more power with the 38" then some of the larger mowers that I work on. I am threatening to put a 21hp and 5/8 deck belt on it just for overkill. :lol:
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum