• Advertisement

Starter from a kohler

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Starter from a kohler

Postby Luffydog » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:00 pm

Just got a phone call asking me about a kohler starter. Here's is what happened according to the caller. Ran good with no issues until had gotten into some cooler weather. Cranked good as well. Until today. He said that he was trying to start the engine when he said it kinda backfired and he let off the key. Few mins went by he tried again with nothing but the starter just spinning. He pulled the starter off to find out it had broken off just flush with the starter housing. He said it happened last year as well. He said it only does it when its cold out. I haven't seen this issue where it broke the starter shaft off. Hoping to see this stater tomorrow. Any one heard of this issue before. Any ideas ahead of time. He said this is the second one this has happened to. Maybe a bad flywheel key or just a bad backfire to snap it. He didn't know the numbers of the engine because they were missing or he didn't know where to look but he did know it was a twin and on a bad boy but didn't say what type. Might be a mystery machine. Input welcome.
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Starter from a kohler

Postby hanz63 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:51 pm

As I gaze into my crystal ball... its a Courage twin. Or maybe the fact that these happen regularly in my world. It would be good to know what he replaced the starter with as a couple of years back, Kohler upgraded the starter once again and made it more powerful to help with this condition. A Napa special, not so much. Sure, you could do a valve lash service as well. Possibly look for something that would cause an intermittent starter crank- that would equal hitting the twice when cranking etc.But these happen.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:37 am

Also could be starter pinion gear to flywheel ring gear alignment (mesh) or a bad ring gear tooth. I have shimmed a few to get the mesh right.

You won't know what it is until you can get the engine in hand to go over.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Luffydog » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:01 am

This was the 3 one he has replaced he said and only happens in he cold. Kinda strange to me that's the only time it happens all 3 times. It is gonna be here this morning a little later I'll post back on what he says and what I find.
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby Luffydog » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:54 pm

Turns out that this unit is in warranty so I told him to take it back to his place where it was bought. He had bought all three starters out of pocket. Told him to tell them that way it might be a recall or might be get reimbursed but I doubt it. At least they can have a open case number on this on going problem for him. As for the engine he didn't bring the mower or the numbers I had asked for. I did tell him I would like to know what they found and how it goes. So cased closed until I hear back which I hope soon. Like to know the cause I already know the effect. Thanks for the replies and thoughts I'll post back and let you know.
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby kyfarmer » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:48 pm

Luffy, why don't yall cover his warranty? Your store sells Badboy
kyfarmer

Postby Luffydog » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:22 pm

He's from out of state in tn. Close to Nashville he said. Here to visit
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum