• Advertisement

compression release question

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

compression release question

Postby 38racing » Tue May 05, 2020 9:20 pm

With I think one exception (a vanguard ?) Briggs does compression release on the intake valve. It uses an aluminum push rod on that intake and steel on the exhaust. I've read that is for different rate of expansion with heat. I'm assuming that they do that for release performance on hot restarts? How would the different metals make a difference on a cold engine?
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: compression release question

Postby Walt 2002 » Sat May 09, 2020 9:06 am

Well you are mostly right. The first single cylinder OHV B&S engines were called Vanguards. This quickly changed as the V Twin came out.The early Vanguard singles had the same parts as what was then called Intek. Many people have replaced the aluminum push rods with steel with no apparent problem though I would not recommend it. On the old style simply switch ends of the aluminum push rod when adjusting valves. The newer style support the push rod eliminating the wear problem.

Walt Conner
Walt 2002
Forum Regular

Return to Technical Discussion Forum