• Advertisement

Toro T1800 Generator

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Toro T1800 Generator

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:08 am

Then I would try a couple 107-4621. Considering they are about 3.50 USD each it would hurt to try. They will need the length cut down some but I think the width and depth will fine with them stacked on top each other.

Here is link for you to check out for yourself.
https://www.ereplacementparts.com/air-filter-element-foam-p-728435.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI79P31szr7QIVEEWGCh0d2wCHEAQYASABEgKZ6PD_BwE
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:33 am

Looks like a good bet. Thanks again. I'll give it a try.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:43 pm

38racing wrote:James condeon does a lot of generator videos on YouTube. He sets noload hertz to 61.5

james condon is correct spelling.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:35 pm

Reporting back on this one. Those filters seemed to do the trick, although I was a little off on the depth because the original was so badly disintegrated. I ended up using one of them. Two was too much for the engine and there wasn't enough airflow. RPM would drop substantially with both in there because they were kind of crammed.

I also got a new multimeter for Christmas, one that measures hertz. Here are my findings and I thought maybe someone could give me some guidance.

The voltage is reading about 126. And the frequency varies wildly from about 58 to 79 and sometimes spikes up to 90 hertz. I attached a light to the generator thinking I could maybe see if there was any fluctuation in the brightness but I can't notice any, in case that's a thing. Adjusting the speed of the engine does not seem to have much impact on these numbers.

The meter is not high-end but got good reviews from people I deemed reputable. I tested the meter on my household current and it reads 120V and 60 hertz steady and on the money.

The main question I have, is this normal for generators or an indication of a failing component?

Thanks.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:58 pm

If that is a kill A Watt use it on a extension cord.

Not good to let a Kill A Watt digital tester ride on a vibrating generator.

Also try the HZ meter you have at the end of a 25 ft or so cord with about a 100-600 watt load on the gen and sometimes just moving the tester away from the gen on the end of a cord will get a more stable reading. Some cheap testers are not shielded internally and will pick-up electrical radiation from the portable emergency gen.
and Yes them gen's sine wave can have harmonics and noise, but a good tester will usually read correctly.
Do not try to operate any electronics from them kind of gens.

Inverter gen's are the clean ones usually because they use addition electrical filtering clean the voltage generated.

Your gen is most likely ok since your cheap tester reads House HZ ok at 60.

Forgot to mention that if the you do not HEAR the engine speed change very much when YOUR CHEAP TESTER HZ is indicating 70-90 HZ and the voltage is not changing very much it's your tester.
China is talking to you AGAIN through your tester.
Also:

Safety Warning about cheap electrical testers:
Be aware of the really cheap testers. They can become a fireball/bomb. especially when attempting to read a voltage over 150volts.
You can review the CAT (category safety ratings) rating of electrical testers and eq at this link and on-line. If you don't see a CAT rating spec for your tester do not use it at all.
https://www.digikey.com/en/blog/what-ar ... ty-ratings
Last edited by Arkie on Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:44 pm

And it is just as easy to use tach and divide by 60. 3750 rpm / 60 secs = 62.5 hz
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:20 am

Lefty:

I edited my above post with a SAFETY warning about cheap electrical testers and their CAT safety ratings.

Some have no idea about such until it's too late. (can lose eyesight or worse if a fireball occurs)
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby Skywatcher » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:28 pm

Greetings All

Here's hoping for a much happier year in 2021. Arkie, that's an excellent link complete with You-Tube tutorial, thank you. I just had my first technical lesson of 2021. Figured I'd better check my 1995 Fluke 78 meter which came with a VHS instructional/tutorial video cassette. Nothing printed on the unit itself, but the product rating on the Fluke site say's it's Cat II 300 volts, so it's well within the testing parameters of any portable generator that is likely to find its way into my shop. All the best,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby 38racing » Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:39 pm

I have a couple invertors (battery 12v to 120 ac). Voltage displayed on invertor out by a couple volts on kill-o-watt. Other thing I noticed was the hz didn't come up correct on kill-o-watt unless load was applied.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:01 pm

Arkie wrote:Lefty:

I edited my above post with a SAFETY warning about cheap electrical testers and their CAT safety ratings.

Some have no idea about such until it's too late. (can lose eyesight or worse if a fireball occurs)

Got the message. Thank you. My new meter that does hertz says "Cat II 1000V" and "Cat III 600V" on the front. Assuming it's adequate for this application?

My old Sperry says IC II 1000V max on the front. Assuming that one may be risky on a generator that may have gone rogue?

Thank you for that amendment. It sent me on a deep dive into the subject which was very informative.
lefty
Forum Pro

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Discussion Forum